Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I liked it when I tried it - but gambled on a Romin Expert second hand off ebay - the differences:

-the Evo has a narrower nose
-the Evo has more padding

I do think the Evo is probably a better saddle for 4+ hour rides - but I like shorts with a thick pad so that balances out the relative lack of padding on the older Romin.

I'd suggest the Romin if you're coming from a rounder Aliante type saddle and want something slightly flatter with a pressure relief channel. Its kind of 1/2 way inbetween a round and flat saddle.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I tried one of the loaners from the LBS and found it a little too light on padding, so picked up the Romin Evo Comp gel 143 and like it. I'm thinking about getting a Selle SMP 209 Lite now though for a bit more pressure relief.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got one last week and did a 2hr ride today. No pain or pressure. Much better than the junky saddle my bike came with. Need to ride some more. Only time will tell. From the reviews I read it is a saddle that is liked by many riders.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Bought the Evo Expert a few rides ago. I think it's a great racing saddle:

- I usually ride a ~140MM saddle, but got the 155 Romin Evo after reading comments online that it "rides narrow". This is absolutely correct as the 155 fits me like a glove.

- Others have noted that they have found this saddle difficult to "dial in". This was not my experience. I followed Specialized's recommendation and leveled the middle third of the saddle. Both the nose and tail are raised, forming a hammock in the middle. This works perfectly for me.

- I was instantly comfortable on this saddle, despite the fact that I had never used a channeled saddle. The saddle is particularly comfortable in the drops: I could spend all day in the drops using this saddle without crushing the boys.

- The tail kick is definitely noticable on this saddle. Overall the saddle "encourages" you to stay in the hammock and not move around so much. This doesn't bother me and in fact I like it for climbing, it's a solid perch. YMMV.

- The nose is narrow and smooth: no friction or chafeing for me.

- The saddle is apparently "more padded" than the non-Evo Romin, but this is extremely relative: this is a stiff performance saddle with fairly minimal padding.

- The underside of the Evo Expert is flaming, lipstick red. Not sure I like it but whatever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.