Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specialized Romin:

If you haven't tried this saddle, I suggest you do.

I have the tester on my bike and I really love it. It's a cross between a Toupe and a Aliante.
Firm but supportive. It doesn't focus as much pressure on your two points of the sit bones like the Toupe. There is no soft tissue irritation with this Romin.
It's a hell of a saddle. Not perfect as the edges are still a tad sharp but it's not a big deal.
I'd suggest trying one.

I had to buy one now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Absolutely love mine. I read somewhere that the raised rear is supposed to promote the "rolling forward" of the pelvis for those who have trouble getting in that position naturally. I must say it has worked great for me.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya...I hear ya....I use the rear lip to press against when I go to the bar tops and climb hard.
It doesn't sag much either so there is a lot of power to use.
Wonderful saddle for sure. It should have come out years ago.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
I read this post before going to pick up my Fizik Antares at the LBS this morning. It turns out that the distributor shipped the Versus model instead of the plain one. I didn't like that saddle at all on the trainer so I tried the Romin and it felt great so I went with it. Did a 30-mile ride on it today and so far it feels really good. Thanks for posting this!

...oh, and the Romin was 80 bucks less than the Antares.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For those of you who have tried this saddle, do you have any experience with the SMP line? I'd love to hear your feedback in comparing the two.

I'm having a terrible time finding a saddle that works for me. I've been trying an SMP strike, but it's a touch to narrow for my sit bones. I then tried the next wider version of the SMP and it seems too wide. My seach continues...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've not tried the SMP, but want to. I too am testing the Romin (Pro version) out. So far so good. I use ISM Adamo saddles which I really love, but find them very heavy and seriously ugly. I'll be doing a 3.5 - 4 hour ride on the Romin saddle tomorrow to make sure all is well before I switch.

FWIW, I was told I needed the 143 wide version, but I tested that size and the 155 and like the 155 WAY more.

old'n'slow said:
For those of you who have tried this saddle, do you have any experience with the SMP line? I'd love to hear your feedback in comparing the two.

I'm having a terrible time finding a saddle that works for me. I've been trying an SMP strike, but it's a touch to narrow for my sit bones. I then tried the next wider version of the SMP and it seems too wide. My seach continues...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am riding the Romin Pro with Carbon Rails. The size is 155. I was told to get the 143 wide b/c I measured closer to needing a 138, but after trying the 143 and 155, the 155 fit me WAY better.

I've now done 11 hours in the saddle (with 2 3+ hour rides) and absolutely love it.

Stan23 said:
Which model of the Romin are you all loving? The Specialized website lists five models ranging in price from $80 - $150.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just purchased the Expert. It has hollow titanium rails and weighs in at 208 grams. Looking at some of the listings in Google, I wonder if the Expert is going to replace the SL. Same weight and rails, with some possible differences in the shell and padding (based on the Specialized web site). I have only been on it an hour but so far, I love it. I am thinking about buying another for my second bike.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forums!

I was wondering the same thing myself. Specialized no longer lists the Romin SL on their website. Just the Expert,Cromo, and Pro models. My LBS says they can't get an SL anymore.
So your guess is as good as mine but I would think there's no more SL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

My LBS thought the three models for 2011 would be the Expert (titanium), Pro (carbon) and gel. At $100 for the Expert, I wonder if there is a price-point left for the cromoly.

Anyway, based on the first ride, I am very excited about this saddle.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
iridepinarello said:
I am riding the Romin Pro with Carbon Rails. The size is 155. I was told to get the 143 wide b/c I measured closer to needing a 138, but after trying the 143 and 155, the 155 fit me WAY better.

I've now done 11 hours in the saddle (with 2 3+ hour rides) and absolutely love it.
What seatpost do you have with the Romin Pro? This post stated the current specialized posts wouldn't work.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
iridepinarello said:
I have the OEM seatpost that came with my Pinarello Dogma. It's made by MOST.
cool - so no adapter or anything special required to mount the Romin Pro?

·
Registered
289 Posts
just picked up an SL today at my LBS. She stated the Pro requires the Specialized Pro seatpost because of the shape of the carbon rails.

Not sure if the Romin is going to work for me as I think the rolled edge may be a little to "sharp", and rubs on my inner thigh quite a bit after my 1st ride.

Also got a Cobb saddle to demo.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ideal place for me to ask this:

Romin teamed up with a Thomson...the front, upper corner of the clamp (both sides) is ever so slightly wider than the saddle at that point. As such, I've worn through 3 pairs of bibs since June. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I realize that the saddle is starting to show signs of fatigue, and am hoping that a new one resolves this issue.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I got the demo Romin 143mm today. It looks just like the Aliante to me. I don't have experience with the other Specialized saddle like the OP has, but the profile and shape and size of the Romin is almost identical to the Aliante. Except for the Romin being firmer and the slot, I cannot tell the difference between the Romin and Aliante. My experience so far has been brief since I just got the Romin today and have only ridden it for 30 minutes on the trainer. I would be anxious to use it a lot more and see if the slot and the firmness make any difference on long rides. However it looks promising if the unique shape of the Aliante is your favorite and you want to try a design with a slot for more relief.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.