Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just spoke with a very helpful Customer Service rep at Specialized named Don and he confirmed that the Romin Pro with carbon rails will work with any seatpost that clamps on the rails from the top and the bottom.

He said most seatposts clamp this way.
As an example of what WON'T work he pointed me to their Pave post:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57222

As where the Pro will:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57803

Hope this helps anyone else in a similar predicament and thanks to Don at Specialized.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
damn...can't get it to fit on my ritchey superlogic carbon seatpost...and I really don't want to go back buy a new clamp set for the post

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the Romin Gel on my Allez that I'm currently using on the trainer. I've got about 440 miles logged and I'm trying my best to like this saddle. The saddle is firm and my sit bones still haven't gotten quite used to it. I've been fiddling with the tilt +/- 3% to find the sweet spot. Right now I've got it nose down about 3% and this seems pretty close to perfect for me. (3% using a digital scale on a book across the entire saddle front-to-back) Running this particular saddle level front-to-back caused too much pressure for me. Out of curiosity, what tilt angle are you running yours at? (using my method) I would imagine that it's nose down, especially if you're trying to level the center of the seat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Romin Gel Saddle

I have the Romin Gel on my Allez that I'm currently using on the trainer. I've got about 440 miles logged and I'm trying my best to like this saddle. The saddle is firm and my sit bones still haven't gotten quite used to it. I've been fiddling with the tilt +/- 3% to find the sweet spot. Right now I've got it nose down about 3% and this seems pretty close to being perfect for me. (3% using a digital scale on a book across the entire saddle front-to-back) Running this particular saddle level front-to-back caused too much pressure for me. Out of curiosity, what tilt angle are you running yours at? (using my method) I would imagine that it's nose down, especially if you're trying to level the center of the seat.

·
Registered
245 Posts
carlislegeorge said:
damn...can't get it to fit on my ritchey superlogic carbon seatpost...and I really don't want to go back buy a new clamp set for the post
Because Ritchey seatposts suck and their customer service is worse.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've not been a fan of gel in the past, having tried it in gloves and shorts. I find it a harder surface than traditional padding. I'm sure it's the same in a saddle. YMMV

Try a regularly padded Romin, or I am really liking the Koobi. A bit heavy, but good overall support despite the cut out, no hard edges, and you can pick a saddle based on your hours in the saddle. At the high end it looks like they build them for your particular weight as well. There is a great series of youtube videos by Koobi about saddle design considerations.

http://koobi.com/technology-comfortable-bicycle-seat.html

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.