Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Specialized Roubaix Elite ( my first ever carbon frame). I got it because it is just great to ride. I have entered my first road race this year. I know I know - the roubaix is not an agressive racing bike - Please help me calm my fears that i did not make a mistake by getting this vs. another. The reasoning I guess was that if I do not care for racing then I will not be stuck with riding a bike all the time with agressive race geometry. At the same time am I already at a major equipment disadvantage? My hope is to not necessarily "win" the race. My goal is to survive it, compete from both a fitness and equipment standpoint, and like it enough to come back for more. SO what do you think?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Bike racing is all about the engine, that is, you. I've seen people win races on touring bikes. Bike frame geometry does not win races. Anyhow, who says the Roubaix isn't a race bike? Some (specialized sponsored) pros in the euro peloton rode Roubaixs for many races during the season, and they're undoubtably faster than all of us here.

In your first race your frame's angles are going to be the last thing you need to think about.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I couldn't agree more...

I purchased an 04 Roubaix Elite after spending years riding Bianchi Steel.
I actually think that the geometry on the Roubaix is an advantage. The more "aggressive" geometry of standard Euro designs seemed to put the focus on how fast I was going but never really allowed me the comfort factor needed to keep my head in the actual race.

Just my 2 cents.
I love my Roubaix even if it's not the all Carbon model.
And yes, if this is your first season of racing... You'll have a WHOLE LOT MORE to concern yourself with aside from the basic geometry of your frame...

#1 rule: Don't do mechanics the night before a major race, and always pack your gear the night before... Nothing worse than getting to the race and being frantically looking for a helmet or a missing shoe with 20 minutes to get warmed up and on the start line.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Yep! What they said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who answered - you have assured me well. I am certainly more worried about my non existant experience in racing rather than they type of bike I bought. It was just one of those choices I had made that I had to get some outside reinforcement on! Thatnks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts