Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new bike and think I have it narrowed down to these two bikes.

I am a big guy at 6"2 and 265 so I need durability more than lightness.

I have been away from cycling for about 10 years and have a budget of about $1700.

I went to my local shop and he showed me the roubaix and I liked it. But for the compact double in shimano 105 there is a mix of house parts and other components that seem lower quality than the Sram Rival group and components that are on the Neuvation.

The downside to the Neuvation is I won't be able to test ride it.

My dealer quoted me $1700 plus tax for the Roubaix and I can get the Neuvation shipped for 1650. Looking for opinions on the best value and idelly what will be the more durable bike.

Thanks in advance!

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
I believe the Neuvation is a direct order bike.

I have a Roubaix compact, I do like the 105's well enough.. the only thing I was at all non-plussed about are the tektro R520's.. and some kool stops cure a lot of ills. I have not had it long enough to really comment on durability though, but it replaced an 03 allez with lower level components

· Registered
5,480 Posts
Things to consider:

105 isn't garbage, but technically, you're getting more "spec" for the money with Neuvation.

The Roubaix is aimed to being a bit more relaxed, whereas the Neuvation bikes from what I hear are similar to the likes of the Cervelo Soloist and Soloist Carbon.

Neuvation's are also recommended @ 250lbs for their M28 Aeros, and less for the M28SL's and R-series wheels. Don't be surprised however, if you come across anyone higher than those weights getting away with things. It's just that it's much more ideal to be running a higher spoke count at your weight.

I'm actually leaning to the Roubaix for you, not just because of your weight (no offense), but because I'm taking it that you're not so into racing as you're coming back into cycling at the moment. It has working stuff, can be test ridden, possible shop support down the road, better caters to your assumed aims, and has the more ideal wheels. No point in having Rival if your compatibility with the bike is questionable.

· Registered
57 Posts
Good Job!
Get the Roubaix... they stand behind and in front of their products!
Cycling is awesome... last year at this time I was 330 lbs... now I'm 245lbs.
Whatever you get... enjoy it and ride it often.

rickgoing said:
I am in the market for a new bike and think I have it narrowed down to these two bikes.

I am a big guy at 6"2 and 265 so I need durability more than lightness.

I have been away from cycling for about 10 years and have a budget of about $1700.

I went to my local shop and he showed me the roubaix and I liked it. But for the compact double in shimano 105 there is a mix of house parts and other components that seem lower quality than the Sram Rival group and components that are on the Neuvation.

The downside to the Neuvation is I won't be able to test ride it.

My dealer quoted me $1700 plus tax for the Roubaix and I can get the Neuvation shipped for 1650. Looking for opinions on the best value and idelly what will be the more durable bike.

Thanks in advance!

· downhill quickly
755 Posts
LOUISSSSS said:
of course you can test ride the neuvation (if you're buying from a lbs.) Place the order for one with them, when it arrives and you're ready to buy, test ride it. if you dont like it, walk away.
The worse advice I’ve read on this forum in over a year. Short sited. Adversarial.

· Banned
726 Posts
DonDenver said:
The worse advice I’ve read on this forum in over a year. Short sited. Adversarial.
Thats how you get a test ride of a bike. I've done it at 3 bike shops. Paid a small refundable deposit for them to get the bike shipped to them and built up. I test rode the bike, didn't fit me well, got my deposit back and bought another bike. did i hurt your feelings?

· Registered
1,121 Posts
LOUISSSSS said:
Thats how you get a test ride of a bike. I've done it at 3 bike shops. Paid a small refundable deposit for them to get the bike shipped to them and built up. I test rode the bike, didn't fit me well, got my deposit back and bought another bike. did i hurt your feelings?

asking a trek dealer to get a trek bike for you is one thing,

asking a dealer to get you a competetive product for you is another, you can't drive to the ford dealer and ask them to special order a honda for you to try out

neuvation is a direct sold product, the concept is to save money by cutting the bike shop out of the loop, that should explain why a bike shop wouldn't order a neuvation for you to try out.

· Banned
726 Posts
roscoe said:
asking a trek dealer to get a trek bike for you is one thing,

asking a dealer to get you a competetive product for you is another, you can't drive to the ford dealer and ask them to special order a honda for you to try out

neuvation is a direct sold product, the concept is to save money by cutting the bike shop out of the loop, that should explain why a bike shop wouldn't order a neuvation for you to try out.
didn't know that no bike shops distribute neuvation bikes. my reply assumes the bike shop is a neuvation retailer and can get a hold of them.

· Registered
429 Posts
Ventruck said:
Things to consider:

The Roubaix is aimed to being a bit more relaxed, whereas the Neuvation bikes from what I hear are similar to the likes of the Cervelo Soloist and Soloist Carbon.

I think this is the main point here. If you were wanting something racy, but didn't have the funds or didn't want to pay that much, the Neuvation would be a good option. It gives you a great bang for your buck. If you are looking for more relaxed riding though, the Roubaix with a lifetime warranty on the frame makes sense to me. And 105 stuff is still pretty nice.

· Registered
534 Posts
I have a rbx comp. Here are the pros:
You can just ride it. Once it's fitted, the only thing that hurts will be your legs and, as applicable, your *ss. The 105 level stuff will be great. The bike is responsive, but without being "twitchy"--ride a tarmac and you'll notice the difference. To me, it felt very stable at high speeds (35 plus).

The only thing that I don't like about mine was the RS10 wheelset, which kept popping spokes on the rear wheel. Due to the low spoke count, once that happens, your ride is over. At your size/weight, the wheels might be a downer (I don't know what the deal is on the RS20s.)

I've never ridden a neuvation, but I love the roubaix.

· Registered
177 Posts
After having Neuvation wheels, my humble opinion would be to go with the Roubaix.

Not that I am hating on Neuvation, and you do get a better drivetrain with them, but the Specialized does have a lifetime warranty and resale would be better if you lose weight and want to upgrade and get a better bike later.

The way I think of Neuvation is that it is a generic bike, alot like the carbon ebay bikes.

The only thing Neuvation has going for them is that their customer service is awesome. But I think the specialized is a better frame for the money....

· Registered
429 Posts
I think everyone is in agreement on the Roubiax. But just out of curiosity and not to hijack the thread...do any of your opinions change if we were talking about a used "insert brand name bike here" vs. the Neuvation? As I understand it, most if not all frames from a brand name company are warrantied for life for the original owner only.

As I said earlier, in this case I agree with the Roubaix for multiple reasons. But what about for the person looking used big name vs. new Neuvation?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like I need to give the Roubaix a closer look.

With what I had read about the Neuvation I thought the consensus would would have been closer to even especially when you looked at the spec.

I was not aware of the lifetime warranty on the frame for the Roubaix.

Two other questions then. As this is the only dealer I went to is the 1700 lus tax sound right for the Roubaix and also is there anything that should be swapped out right away?

· Registered
429 Posts
I think you'd have more mixed feelings if the two bikes were more similar...it's a bit of apples v oranges though. The Neuvation is definitely going to be racier and if that's what you're after, I think it's worth a look. I'm most likely looking at a new bike next year and when I do, I will be considering the Neuvation (supposedly a new model is coming out this year..pics look great). I have yet to see or experience anything negative about their products (I have a set of the M28 wheels and love them) and until I do, it's hard for me not to consider it. Certainly a good value provided they hold up to the test of time.

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
The only thing I swapped out pretty much immediately were the tires and brake pads (oh and the saddle never made it out of the store, but I have a worn in selle anatomica and well....).. and the tektro pads work, I'm just more used to the kool stops, course.. same is true of the tires

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.