Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to narrow down my search for my next bike.

I have been interested in the carbon road bikes produced by Cervelo and am trying to get a better idea as to the differences between Cervelo's bikes and the Specialized Roubaix Pro. Groupo and equipment aside, is there a significant difference between Cervelo's carbon bikes and the Roubaix Pro? I recognize the comfort benefits of the Roubaix Pro but am I sacrificing speed or anything else for that matter in going with the Roubaix Pro versus a Cervelo bike?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
Youre looking at two completely different bikes. Cervelo makes bikes to be efficient and to fit. IF (and only if) they can implement a design to add even a degree of comfort, they will.
the Roubaix is built as a go fast, comfort bike.
Its like comparing a a Porsche carrera to a BMW 5 series.
Try them BOTH, consider your fitness level, riding purpose, and FIT, FIT, FIT.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your opinion.

I come from a triathlon/time trial background and will be getting into road racing. I agree with your remarks concerning fit as I would prefer an aggressive position.

I will probably take your advice and try both bikes. I have a Specialized dealer right down the street.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Cervelo or Specialized... that's a tough one. Cervelo uses computers to make their bikes faster, but Specialized uses Zert inserts that absorb all road shock... :smilewinkgrin:

I think I am a little worn out on their marketing from watching too much VS... :D

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Syndicate 3 said:
Thank you for your opinion.

I come from a triathlon/time trial background and will be getting into road racing. I agree with your remarks concerning fit as I would prefer an aggressive position.

I will probably take your advice and try both bikes. I have a Specialized dealer right down the street.
Good. When you get there, ask to ride the Tarmac and your decision will be made. :)

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PJ; You think I would prefer the Tarmac over the Roubaix Pro?

I just got back from the shop and they had a very poor selection of bikes. The jerk who works there couldn't be bothered to speak with me so I left.

I'll have to try elsewhere.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
PLEASE ride at least four bikes - Roubaix, Tarmac, Cervelo RS and R3. I am 6'4" so the R3 was not an option for me (low head tube), but I rode (multiple times) the Roubaix, Tarmac, and RS. For me, the RS beat the Roubaix and Tarmac in every category. The Roubaix and Tarmac felt so 'aluminum like' compared to the Cervelo. If you want racing, go with the R3 (or better yet, R3 SL.....). I built up my 61cm RS with full RED and Assault wheels and it comes in at 16.25lbs...not bad.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you MCF...This is the input I was hoping for...Having owned two Cervelo P3's; it seems like the logical progression for me...

I plan on selling both of my bikes and buying a new bike shortly.

I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
I was 99% sure I was going to be buying a Roubaix as my first carbon bike. I rode it and it really didn't do much for me....I then rode a Tarmac and it felt a 'very little' bit quicker, but pretty much same ride quality. After riding them, I actually remember saying to my wife, "Not sure what the big deal is with this carbon as it did nothing for me"...and then I rode the RS (back to back to the Roubaix) and was blown away. On my old Lemond I used to always get upper back and between shoulder blade pain while riding...no more on the Cervelo. Not knocking Specialized, but I think Cervelo is a step up (and the price corresponds to this so that is something to think about).

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MCF said:
I was 99% sure I was going to be buying a Roubaix as my first carbon bike. I rode it and it really didn't do much for me....I then rode a Tarmac and it felt a 'very little' bit quicker, but pretty much same ride quality. After riding them, I actually remember saying to my wife, "Not sure what the big deal is with this carbon as it did nothing for me"...and then I rode the RS (back to back to the Roubaix) and was blown away. On my old Lemond I used to always get upper back and between shoulder blade pain while riding...no more on the Cervelo. Not knocking Specialized, but I think Cervelo is a step up (and the price corresponds to this so that is something to think about).
I've owned a Cannondale, a Softride and two Cervelos and to me the Cervelo are significantly better in their overall quality. Did you but your RS new?

· Registered
1,932 Posts
MCF said:
On my old Lemond I used to always get upper back and between shoulder blade pain while riding...no more on the Cervelo. Not knocking Specialized, but I think Cervelo is a step up (and the price corresponds to this so that is something to think about).
Were you fit correctly on the lemond? Upper back pain, and b/w shoulder blade pain often has more to do with amount of drop and a proper fitting then it does with the material/maker of a frame.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes...

Syndicate 3 said:
I've owned a Cannondale, a Softride and two Cervelos and to me the Cervelo are significantly better in their overall quality. Did you but your RS new?
Bought the RS Dura Ace version and since switched everything to RED and wheels to Assaults. Saddle to Toupe. Still 'finalizing' stem and bars.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Yes..I was fitted on the Lemond by the same shop I was fitted on the Cervelo. In fact, I only had ~2" drop on the Lemond and now I have well over 3" drop on the Lemond. The Cervelo is shorter which helps some, but I feel much less fatigued after a 50-60 mile ride on the Cervelo than on the Lemond. The carbon frame and wheels DO reduce road vibration significantly which after 30+ miles is a significant difference.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Ideally you should ride both the Tarmac and Roubaix and go from there. I threw the Tarmac in the mix because you made this statement:
To me, it says Tarmac.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PJ352 said:
Ideally you should ride both the Tarmac and Roubaix and go from there. I threw the Tarmac in the mix because you made this statement:
To me, it says Tarmac.
Thank you again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.