Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specialized Roubaix

I am looking for a more comfortable bike(currently riding a 58 Cannondale) so went to the Specialized shop to check out the Roubaix. They said I should ride the Roubaix in the 56 if I rode a 58 Cannnondale. Anyone else heard this.
I am a touch under 6' with 33" inseam.

Would appreciate comments.

Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jbartg said:
I am looking for a more comfortable bike(currently riding a 58 Cannondale) so went to the Specialized shop to check out the Roubaix. They said I should ride the Roubaix in the 56 if I rode a 58 Cannnondale. Anyone else heard this.
I am a touch over 6' with 33" inseam.

Thanks
C'Dale geo varies by model. Which is yours?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jbartg said:
bought the frame in 2003 and built the bike /maybe cadd 6?
CAAD's weren't built back then, but the 'R' series was, so it could be one of those.

If you can't identify the model or pin down the geometry, try measuring the effective top tube and head tube length. It won't get you the exact numbers to determine reach and drop, but it'll get you close enough to be able to compare the measurements to the 56/58 Roubaix's.

That aside, it might be easier just to start from square one and get sized/ fitted to size 56 and 58 Roubaix's and see which feels better. An experienced fitter should be able to assist you with that.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jbartg said:
The Cannodale bike has Optimo on the frame. Maybe I bought in 2004
Some of the R series bikes started being spec'd with Optimo around '05/'06.

If you browse BikePedia.com, you might find it. Unfortunately, they don't provide geometry.

·
Registered
169 Posts
jbartg said:

Thanks
I'm 6 foot even. I went from a 58cm.Trek 5200 to a 56.5cm. Specialized Roubaix a few years back. I've since bought a second 56.5 cm. Roubaix with no reservations. Only a test ride will tell you for sure, but I think there's a very good chance the 56.5 will be spot on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
jbartg said:

Thanks
i am a tuoch under 6' with a 34" inseam and the 56 roubaix and tarmac (which i own) are perfect fits

the 58 roubaix has a huge head tube

·
Registered
251 Posts
purdyd said:
i am a tuoch under 6' with a 34" inseam and the 56 roubaix and tarmac (which i own) are perfect fits

Same dimensions, but a 58 Roubaix with a 100mm stem fits me like a glove. Best to try both and see which fits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
purdyd said:

yep,being 5'10'' i always have rode a 58 in Aluminum ,but a 56 Specialized Carbon fits me perfect!

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
thekidd said:
yep,being 5'10'' i always have rode a 58 in Aluminum ,but a 56 Specialized Carbon fits me perfect!
Yep, me too- 5' 10" and have two 56cm Specialized Roubaix bikes. :D
(What's plural of that- "Roubaixs"?)
Seems too small for a 6-footer...
But maybe if the 58 is really that gigantic.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yes, the 56cm does seem small for a 6' person, but one can always go long on the seat post and stem to compensate. I am 5'6" and bought a 54cm Roubaix.

This may be too big for most riders my size but I love a long TT and do a lot of out-of-saddle riding, so it works for me. I won't even change the 100mm stem that came with the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 6' and ride a 56cm... was told by LBS that I'm actually between sizes and could ride a 54cm also. (I currently have an '05 Roubaix Elite FWIW.)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
serious said:
Yes, the 56cm does seem small for a 6' person, but one can always go long on the seat post and stem to compensate.
If you mean adjust saddle fore/ aft to adjust for reach, that's not correct. Fore/ aft is to adjust for setback/ KOPS. Reach is adjusted after saddle adjustments and (assuming the bike is sized correctly to the rider) would require a moderate length stem to meet their reach requirements.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That is what I meant PJ352. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 specialized Roubaix Expert with Revelo wheels. I have 1000 miles on the bike and broke 4 spokes on the real wheel. The dealer replaced the wheel and I broke another spoke on the new wheel on the second ride. Anyone else having problems like this? BTW...Im 62 years old, ride very conservatively. No curbs, bumps or jumps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts