Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a local cycle shop today to look at helmets only to find myself talking to someone about what's changed in road bikes since 2000...the last time I purchased a bike (mountain bike at that time).

We started talking and he was showing me some bikes that he had lowered the price on trying to make room for more bikes...one of the bikes he showed me was a Specialized Secteur (size 61...I'm 6'3" with long legs). I'm pretty sure it was a new 2016 model...not sure what the colors have been in the past but this one was red and black (maybe a little white on it somewhere). Although you could tell it had been tested out due to the dust on the tires.

I think the original price on the bike was $850, marked down to $699, and he offered to sell it to me for $650 out the door (including taxes and lifetime tune-ups).

I have/had no intention of purchasing a road bike since I just put some "roadish" tires on my Gary Fisher Mamba.

So I guess I'm wondering if:
- Anyone can give me some feedback on this bike?
- If $650 is too good of a deal to pass up?
- If I should just stick with the Mamba and the 'roadish' tires because other great deals will be available in the future?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you should maybe take it for a test ride...
A road bike will in theory be a zillion times better than a mtb with slicks. But it all depends on fit what your going to use it for etc...
Only then after a ride will you be able to figure out if it would be $650 well spent...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Sectuer, although it is a 2011 and I love it. Yes I believe Specialized stopped making them in 2015, they kinda replaced it with the Diverge at least that is what a Specialized dealer told me.

The Sectuer is a wonderful "first" road bike. Like you I was riding a Mt. Bike with slicks (a 29er with 700 X 25c road tires) for my road rides and quickly decided I wanted a "real" road bike. The 29er was good but the Sectuer was much better as I started to add mileage. I bought a carbon "race" bike this year as I started doing Triathlons last year and wanted a bike I could leave set-up for races and one I could use for commuting or long rides. I did race on the Sectuer last year and it was fine though. I still ride my Sectuer most of the time even though I have a race bike that was 3x's the price. Granted I have upgraded lots things on my Sectuer as they wore out or I wanted a little better fit, so it is quite a bit lighter now and it fits me perfectly.

If it is a 2015, which it most likely is $650 is a great price as I think the cheapest model that year had a MSRP of $1050 for the Sport Double (red frame with black trim). If the bikes fits you and you can afford it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

SS-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts