Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or do others feel Specialized is bagging them with additional shipping charges by putting their Bike Catalog in the shipping box??

Yes, the catalog is beauty, but it weighs a TON. I bought a pair of bib shorts recently and they could easily have been put in a pouch mailer. But, No, they came in a box with the catalog in it which accounted for 80-90% of the shipping weight. It is like a phone book for crying out loud.

This is a long standing practice of theirs and I have sent them emails asking to not do in my case, but never got a response. Am I off base here??

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
How do you figure that? Isn't it a flat rate, regardless of the weight? At least it used to be.

Edit: Just checked their site. Unless it hasn't been changed to account for a change in their shipping policy, it's a flat rate:

Q: What are my shipping options?

FedEx is our designated shipper. Delivery options for the continuous 48 states are Standard Overnight (by 4:00pm the following business day), 2-Day, 3 Day & Ground Shipping. Shipping charges will be a flat rate per order, based on the shipment method chosen. Overnight = $19.99, 2-Day = $15.99, 3-Day = $10.99 & Ground = $8.99. Alaska and Hawaii residents have the choice of 2-Day FedEx or FedEx Ground. Please be advised that the 2-day service to HI and AK sometimes takes 3 days, especially on outer islands. This same information is available in each product listing as well.
And it always has been when I ordered from them. Doesn't matter if it's 1/2 lb or 10 lbs. Same rate for the continental US. If you're in HI or Alaska, Canada, etc., and their charging by weight, then yes, you have a right to complain. If you're in the lower 48, I don't see what the problem is.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Bad

You are right Dr. John.

Maybe I should read the shipping policy in the future. Sort of surprised they never responded. But then maybe they figured if I was too stupid to read their shipping policy I would be too dumb to understand their email.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Sort of surprised they never responded. But then maybe they figured if I was too stupid to read their shipping policy I would be too dumb to understand their email.
Nah, they're terrible about responding to emails. I emailed them about the lack of availability of some Works SL handlebars on their site about 5 months ago. Still waiting for a response... in the mean time, I went with Zipps. :) And I used to buy a lot of equipment from their online site, own three of their bikes, etc.

And for a "hip" company, they should be able to honor your request not to send catalogs. Even if you're not directly paying for it, it's a really big waste.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Is this an argument for using the LBS?

Shipping charges are going to go up pretty soon and pretty far, if fuel prices stay where they are, and who thinks they won't? My wife just sent a small duffel bag home from a trip, less than 25 pounds and about as big as a beagle, and it cost $42.
This might be a reason to check the local bike shop, though. They can use the business, and when you add $20 in shipping costs, whatever difference there is in price evens out.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My Specialized LBS will order and sell the stuff the show on their website. If it's on sale there, it will be the same price at the LBS. I do have a 9.25% sales tax rate to add to the total. It's usually about the same a shipping would have been. It is faster direct from Specialized.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Is this an argument for using the LBS?
Yes, that's what Specialized wants you to do, but it really depends on your local Specialized retailers. If in stock, great. If the store doesn't have it in stock, they can order it for you, and you can save the shipping charges. Sounds convenient enough, but in my experience, not worth the hassle. Most only receive their orders once a week, and then add in the "oops...I guess that didn't get ordered" delays, multiple trips to the shop, etc. As jd3 points out, just easier to get directly. Ground, for $8.99 I'd get stuff in two days from Salt Lake City (where the online store ships from).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.