Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dura ace pedals, the sh11 cleats. I have a very old pair of the specialized shoes with the 3 velcros (grey shoe). fit fine, cleat position no problem, can NOT twist my ankle and hit the crank arm.

2nd shoe shown, the pro version - no hot spots either on the feet and can not hit the crank arm.

The problem:

2nd shoe shown - the pro version - bought new pair last fall..about 1 or .5 size smaller. Much better fit. Aligned new cleats up the same as old shoes. get hot spots on right shoe. shoe ends up hitting crank arm. Adjusted cleats to turn ankles out some and I don't hit as much ..but I can still twist and it will hit. still have hot spot on right shoe.

I guess I need to try adjust the cleat backwards on the shoe more? or maybe more to the front. has to be a happy medium some where.

Just still perplexed as to why I can hit my ankle/inside foot on the crank arms but not on the other 2 pair ..

any ideas?

·
Registered
628 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

IME, it is not unusual for shoes to rub the crank arms a little, especially if you are trying to do it.

If it is happening when pedaling (and not thinking about it) you have a setup issue. If it is only happening when consciously twisting your foot in, I wouldn't worry about it.

Could be that the heel cup is wider. If the cleats have some lateral adjustment, you could push them in (towards the crank) further. But definitely try to mimic your old set-up. Keep the ball of your foot in the same spot with respect to the pedal spindle (fore/aft) as with your older working shoes to avoid knee problems.

Can you adjust the float on that system?

bas said:
I have the dura ace pedals, the sh11 cleats. I have a very old pair of the specialized shoes with the 3 velcros (grey shoe). fit fine, cleat position no problem, can NOT twist my ankle and hit the crank arm.

2nd shoe shown, the pro version - no hot spots either on the feet and can not hit the crank arm.

The problem:

2nd shoe shown - the pro version - bought new pair last fall..about 1 or .5 size smaller. Much better fit. Aligned new cleats up the same as old shoes. get hot spots on right shoe. shoe ends up hitting crank arm. Adjusted cleats to turn ankles out some and I don't hit as much ..but I can still twist and it will hit. still have hot spot on right shoe.

I guess I need to try adjust the cleat backwards on the shoe more? or maybe more to the front. has to be a happy medium some where.

Just still perplexed as to why I can hit my ankle/inside foot on the crank arms but not on the other 2 pair ..

any ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts