Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have you been on yours?

I've had one for about two and a half years and the flex is just about gone. I was starting down the experimentation road (anyone want an SLR cheap?) because I don't like the idea of dropping $150 for a new saddle every couple of years.

Saddle searching and testing is not much fun so I may grab a new Toupe and hope it lasts a bit longer...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm having the same sensation after 2 years on my toupe. I think its expected with most (especially lightweight) saddles. 2 years is a lot longer than I've had other parts (tires, hbars, forks, wheels, etc)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That translates to $75 a year for your butt to be happy....I think it's well worth the cost...

I personally have 3 bikes and 3 Toupes, plus 2 spares...

The oldest Toupe is 2 years old and has 13000kms on it and still feels fine to me...Then again I only weigh 140lbs...

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
rbart4506 said:
That translates to $75 a year for your butt to be happy....I think it's well worth the cost...

The oldest Toupe is 2 years old and has 13000kms on it and still feels fine to me...Then again I only weigh 140lbs...
I agree. Best saddle I've ever owned. I weigh a little less than you, so I'm hoping mine lasts longer. :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I put about 14,000 miles on one, until I busted the shell. Best part? Specialized dealer replaced it under warranty. :) They needed it to send back to Specialized, but I wish I could have kept it. It wore in great.

I've been gradually replacing my Toupes with SLR flows, which I like a bit better. What's interesting is at first is that I didn't like the SLR at all and really preferred the Toupe, but now that I've got a lot more miles on my SLR's, I don't like my remaining Toupe as much (it's now on my commuter). Such is the world of saddle preference.

G

·

The oldest Toupe is 2 years old and has 13000kms on it and still feels fine to me...Then again I only weigh 140lbs

No wonder I'm always getting outbid on Toupe's at the last second. :mad2:
Ditto three bikes & three Toupe's, but thanks to sniping, no back-ups.

In the case of this thread, I'm evidently a Clydesdale at 155 lbs. Oldest saddle is pushing three years, no issues.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i have one toupe where the middle part, seat pan has sagged and one without any sag, both are still comfortable but i prefer the one without sag, it's really comfortable. so i say about 3 yrs, 1800-2200 miles per year. probably ride them till they break.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the Toupe back on and its night and day from the SLR. I tried the SLR because my Toupe 143 became a 133 and figured the SLR would be similar but with padding.

From the sounds of it, 2-3 years is about the life expentancy of a "flex based" saddle like the Toupe or Bontrager RL. Still seems fast for a "wear" item.

Just for reference, I weigh 200 pounds so I'll kill them a little quicker than others. I'm not fat; I'm a trackie...

OK, OK, I'm fat and a trackie...

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Saddle failure

crumjack said:
I've had one for about two and a half years and the flex is just about gone. I was starting down the experimentation road (anyone want an SLR cheap?) because I don't like the idea of dropping $150 for a new saddle every couple of years.
Plastic saddles don't sag unless they are beginning to fail. The foam may compress a bit, but that's about it. Failure should be fairly obvious if you inspect the underside of the saddle where you can see the plastic saddle base. IME, saddle failure is extremely rare, but again it should be obvious if it's ocurring. My last Selle Italia Flyte had around 80,000 miles on it with no sag at all, but the leather cover was shot so I replaced it. My SLR has 25,000 miles on it with no signs of sag.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
i'm 190lbs and my last toupe has about 4k miles on it. it has become "mushier" than before. its the gel model.
i built another bike with another toupe gel. I'd really like the saddle more if it was 5mm wider.
thread heist, since we're on the subject
anyone know if the douglass (colorado cyclist) saddles are slight copies of airone and aliante?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts