Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently test rode the Toupe saddle and it felt quite nice for a minimally padded saddle and compared to the Avatar. admittedly, it was only a 5.6km test ride so i would be curious what it'll be like on 75km+ rides. anyhow, given how expensive this saddle is, i was wondering how durable this saddle is - anyone wore out the fabric or broke the saddle? (i'm about 143lb, so i'm sure the saddle isn't going to collapse under my weight.)

also, what's the fabric like for cleaning? i was thinking of the white Toupe, which looked very sexy on the Roubaix. cheers.

boon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Toupe saddle

I bought one of these saddles when they first came out. I think they are very sexy and light and designed (anatomically) very well. The front tip of my saddle lost all of its hide after about a week. My lbs refunded my $$ and told me that Specialized has corrected the problem. I kinda think it is a race day saddle, though--maybe train on it a bit to get a feel. Personally, I train and race on the same saddle as butt problems are a killer. Overall, not enough padding on this saddle for me. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have by now put a few hundred miles or so on my Toupe, I haven't had any wear & tear problems with it yet and the white material seems to clean up quite easily. Saddles are a very personal thing though so even though I love it then it doesn't mean others will.

I actually lucked out with mine though as I was at the expo the night before the MS150, just browsing around all the various merchandise the local bike shops had on display and like a beacon the white Toupe that at that stage was quite difficult to find (my LBS couldn't get it for me as they were on back order) was calling out my name, so I grabbed it, saw it was the right width for me and headed to pay for it... I expect to shell out the US$150 or so for it but it was on special for only $100! I couldn't believe it!

I took a big risk as well and mounted it that night, right before the 170 miles or so of the MS150 over the coming weekend so I ended up breaking it in over two consecutive metric centuries (and not too far off imperial centuries either). I was expecting to hurt badly as a result but you know I didn't have any ill effects, the only thing was that I was a bit lax in tightening the bolts and it came loose but some quick roadside repairs took care of that.

Like you I'm on the lighter side at 156lb and also have the white Toupe mounted on my Roubaix, I really do need to polish her up a bit and take some photos one of these days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Solid, man solid

I got a Toupe saddle last year right after they came out, and I've got about 4,000 miles on it now. I use it as an everyday saddle, and though it took a bit of getting used to I've found it comfortable, light and durable over the long haul.

I weigh about 205 and am riding a 143 - no sign of any wear and tear, on it or me, so far.

Strongly recommended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been searching for a saddle that would allow me to ride & perform comfortably. My LBS has a cool program where you buy the saddle and have 30 days to return it. I was on my third saddle when I saw the 4 page add for the Toupe in Bicycling magazine and decided to give it a whirl. I've had it for about a month and I couldn't be happier. It is black. Size is 143. I weight 211 lbs, 6' 4". Mileage is approx. 200 miles and it still looks new. My wife is happier too!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have two! One on each bike and I love them. They are very minimal looking and that scares off quite a few people. Once you ride it it feels perfect. I am not sure what you mean about durability... there is hardly anything there to wear out. I have roughly 2500 miles on both and they look brand new.

The only problem I had with both of them is the nose and the tail section has a fake carbon plastic. Both didn't "line-up" with the actual saddle and I had to sand them down to get rid of potential snagging. Outside of that no problems at all.

Just remember... it is a minimal saddle, you either love it or you hate it. If you are looking for support and want something bullet proof there are plenty of other saddles that have a proven history for fitting and lasting for a long time.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
c0braje7 said:
I have two! One on each bike and I love them. [...] I am not sure what you mean about durability... there is hardly anything there to wear out. I have roughly 2500 miles on both and they look brand new. [...]
from some of the reviews i've read of other italian-branded saddles, it seems that the fabric eventually wears out due to rubbing from the movement of the rider's thigh. since this is a pretty expensive saddle (NZD$280 = USD$176), i was hoping that the fabric would be durable and last at least 3 years so that i can justify forking out that much amount of money on it.

anyway, the feedback from the other posters all seem positive (save one, but i guess saddles are quite a personal thing). the owner of my LBS has allowed me to hold on to the demo Toupe saddle for a bit longer to get a better feel of what it's like on longer rides. hopefully the weather will be good this weekend for a nice long ride. the demo saddle is white, which is why i'm a little bit hesitant to take it out on a rainy day.

boon

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I bought a Toupe and broke it the first day I rode on it (more than 80 miles). It was very comfortable, but I leaned my bike against a tree and the bike rolled forward and slid down slightly, catching the tip of the saddle on the tree trunk. The piece on the tip came off completely shortly thereafter. Although this was my fault, no saddle should have broken in that situation. I think the saddle would be better if the cover was all one piece instead of having the faux carbon parts on the tip and rear.

After exchanging the saddle, I have had no problems. I find the saddle quite comfortable since I like a fairly hard saddle with a cutout and I use the narrowest model. I doubt the material will wear quickly. I have at least a thousand miles on my Toupe and I can not see any wear on the cover.

I also have a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow that has a very similar fit and is quite a bit less expensive. I'll probably stick with the SLR in the future mainly because of the price difference. I don't care about the weights but the Toupe is at least 50g lighter, IIRC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.