Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a 10+ year old Giant CFM3 MTB to commute with a couple of times/week for the last few months during a relatively mild NJ Winter. The bike had a triple which was effectively a double since the FD wouldn't shift to the little ring. The Performance Versa Trac tires - 26x2.0 knobbies linked in the middle/semi-slick - made riding on the road better than outright knobbies. The frame was light but the parts - almost all cheapo replacements -were not! It had a relatively harsh ride for a bike with a front suspension and suspension post.

After the sidewall on the rear rim blew out last week I couldn't resist the new Tricross. What a difference! I don't ride with a computer on my commuter, but it feels a good couple of mph faster. Full thin slicks on the MTB would have provided a fairer comparison. The best change, though, are the positions. On the flats while climbing, hoods in general and drops in fast descents. I used to defend MTB's for commuting but the flat bars are just awful for steep climbs on the road. Standing was very ackward. The fun of a new toy!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts