Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mountain bike sits in the garage and gathers more dust every year and the more I think about it the more it make sense for me to add an CX bike for the type of riding that I like to do. Road riding will always be my passion but a good quality CX bike would be nice to add to the mix. I have decided it is time for me to get a cyclocross bike and I have narrowed the choice down to either a specialized tricross comp or a Felt F1X. I know that the true test will be the test ride (which is difficult because the lbs don't typically stock cx bikes) but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my short list. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A cyclocross bike may be just the ticket for you. I finally sold my MTB's last year (after riding MTB's since 1987!) and now I have nothing but CX and road bikes, and you'll be surprised at how good a nice CX bike can be even on moderate trails.

As for Felt vs. Specialized, you can't go wrong either way but I have a lot of friends with Felt road bikes and they're amazingly nice considering the price. That said, I'd let tire clearance (and fit) be the deciding factors...if you're not just looking at CX racing, a bit more tire clearance will allow for fatter tires and better trail riding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sold my mtb last year about this time for the same reason. It was a great bike, but just hung in my garage, not being used. I bought my first CX frame and fork shortly thereafter and built it up myself. I got a Felt F1X and really love it. Did a few CX races this last winter and still ride the Felt 1-2 days a week for something different. Sizing would be something else to consider since sizing (IMHO) has a lot to do with comfort with the bike.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do it. I've had seperate road and mountain bikes for years and finally jumped into the CX game a few weeks ago (Specialized Tricross - the lower priced one - I'm extremely happy with but can't compare to the Felt you're asking about). I love riding the FS MTB (another Specialized - Stumpjumper FSR) but hate having to drive my car to the trails. Of course, I can ride the MTB to some nearby local trails but the thing is a slug on the road and the tires get chewed up.

CX bike + trails = lot's of fun! The bike reminds me of a smoother version of my old hardtail MTB where the trails don't have to be that hard to be fun. That's not a knock on the bikes capabilities which are obviously short of a FS MTB. I've had it on some semi-technical trails and it performs much better than you'd expect. I don't expect it to handle "real" MTB trails as the gearing isn't very low and the tires are semi-slicks. Unlike the FS MTB, dirt road style trails are very fun.

The best part is, once I'm done with the trails, the bike isn't that much slower on the road than my road racing bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts