• Zip-off sleeves and shoulder yoke converts jacket into a vest
  • Single back zippered pocket securely packs essentials
  • Silicone gripper on back of waist to hold the jacket in position
  • Velcro closure at the wrist for custom fit
  • Reflective trim on the back for visibility
  • MSRP: $120
  • Color tested: Dark Blue
  • Size tested: medium

The Specialized Deflect Hybrid jacket is fully water and wind resistant and has been redesigned with removable sleeves, making it lean and versatile. The thing I like best about this jacket is the sleeves are all in one piece with a zipper and snap closure that makes it easy on/off and you can roll it up and stash it in the back pocket and not worry about it any more, also preventing getting your sleeves mixed up, or worse… losing one. The other part of the brilliant design is the lightweight stretchy fabric and form fit making it easy to move around without a bulky look; a plus for gals in multiple winter layers. It also has a nice length - just past the waist with the back being slightly longer to cover your tush from the elements and a silicon gripper along the back waist holds the jacket in position.

page_turner.jpg

As far as functionality goes, the jacket is fully wind and water resistant. It has a mesh panel under the shoulder yoke to help with ventilation and fully separating front zippers to provide easy on/off. I found the material to be quite effective with wind resistance and did not feel cold in windy conditions; however it was a little flappy on a big descent. The wrists have a Velcro closure to provide a custom fit and keep the wind out and there's a silicon gripper on the back to hold the jacket in place. There is a large pocket on back to stash your sleeves and small pocket on front left panel with a hidden zipper.

I find this jacket to be very well made with construction techniques such as external, exposed zippers and screened on labels to keep the inner surface smooth and comfortable, and double-needle stitching which create a sleek look and form fit. As someone who sews, I notice these kinds of details. The collar has a soft fabric on the inside and the top of the zipper is smooth so it doesn't irritate your neck.

Pros:
  • Removable sleeves that are in once piece
  • Water resistant
  • Lightweight and packable
  • Well made construction
Cons:
  • Flaps in the wind on descents
  • Material could be more breathable

Value
4 bottle

Overall
5 - jacket is essential and very functional. I would recommend this when the temps are in the mid 50's or lower, light rain, heavy fog and/or windy.
5  bottle