Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden both of these tires and I have come to the conclusion that they are the best of all the ones I've ridden. I admit, I haven't ridden some of the newest tires such as Conty GP4000 or Attack/Force combos, Mich Pro3s, and Vitts OC Evo-CX. But I have tried a lot of others and so far the Tricomps and CXs are my favorites. Great grip in corners, fast on the flats, and supple too. Both have nearly identical feels IMO, and the only thing sways me to the Vreds are that they lasted longer IME. I could get 2500 to 3000 miles on the Vreds consistently. It has been a while since I rode the Vitts and IIRC, I never got more than 1500 miles before they had to be replaced. Does anyone else have the same experience? I am shopping for tires and I am tempted to give the CXs or the new Evo-CXs another shot. Does anyone who has ridden these tires significantly prefer one over the other? Like I mentioned, I felt they were very close in performance but the Vreds lasted more miles and I would like others experience and opinions on these tires. I wonder if the new Evo-CX is more durable. Thanks and Ride ON!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
The vittoria open corsa CX (290tpi clincher) set feels a bit slower, like they drag a little compared to several other tires I have recently tried.

I trust them more for braking, cornering, and climbing though.

If I am doing lots of flats and downhills, I would rather have my Pro 2 Race's on. (or pro 3's if I didn't have pro 2's)

I have also started cutting cross sections of all my tires after they wear out or become unuseable. The visible construction of the stuff is kinda neat :D

Okay, back on subject...

Other tire brands I have tried are very similar and reputable, and have not had the drag feel that the CX's have such as... Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie and Bontrager high end tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
lalahsghost said:
The vittoria open corsa CX (290tpi clincher) set feels a bit slower, like they drag a little compared to several other tires I have recently tried.

I trust them more for braking, cornering, and climbing though.

If I am doing lots of flats and downhills, I would rather have my Pro 2 Race's on. (or pro 3's if I didn't have pro 2's)

I have also started cutting cross sections of all my tires after they wear out or become unuseable. The visible construction of the stuff is kinda neat :D

Okay, back on subject...

Other tire brands I have tried are very similar and reputable, and have not had the drag feel that the CX's have such as... Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie and Bontrager high end tires.
You are INSANE! If you think the Vitts have more rolling resistance than Maxxis HC, you should sell all of your stuff...today!
Vitt OC CX have a lower Crr than almost everything out there. Google it...
Put some real pressure in them before you go out and ride. You can't run them @ 90 pounds, like PR2s.
I've ridden every tire you talk about and the ride quality and Crr of the Vitts is better than all of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
@backinthesaddle

Oh, believe me, I know I am/sound crazy when making this unproven observation. I'm 135 and keep the tire inflated at 135 when the indicated max psi is 140? But the tires feel so grippy that they slow down easier and take a touch bit more to wind them up to speed. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... but thats how they feel :shrug:

Also does it matter that I was speaking oif the VIttoria open corsa EVO cx and not just the VIttoria open corsa cx, which I stated in the previous post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
lalahsghost said:
@backinthesaddle

Oh, believe me, I know I am/sound crazy when making this unproven observation. I'm 135 and keep the tire inflated at 135 when the indicated max psi is 140? But the tires feel so grippy that they slow down easier and take a touch bit more to wind them up to speed. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... but thats how they feel :shrug:

Also does it matter that I was speaking oif the VIttoria open corsa EVO cx and not just the VIttoria open corsa cx, which I stated in the previous post?

Same tire dude...:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lalahsghost and backinthesaddle...

backinthesaddle said:
You are INSANE! If you think the Vitts have more rolling resistance than Maxxis HC, you should sell all of your stuff...today!
Vitt OC CX have a lower Crr than almost everything out there. Google it...
Put some real pressure in them before you go out and ride. You can't run them @ 90 pounds, like PR2s.
I've ridden every tire you talk about and the ride quality and Crr of the Vitts is better than all of them.
hey backinthesaddle, did you get the same mileage on the cx's that i got, about 1500 miles? how many miles on the tricomps? do think they feel very similar? as i've said, they are the 2 best i've used. how do you rate them to the tricomps?

hey lalasghost, have you ridden tricomps? you mentioned the pro2s and pro3s but i am wanting specific experiences and opinions of these 2.

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,639 Posts
One more time, with feeling

lalahsghostI'm 135 and keep the tire inflated at 135 when the indicated max psi is 140? But the tires feel so grippy that they slow down easier and take a touch bit more to wind them up to speed. If I'm wrong said:
First of all, you're running rediculously high pressures for someone of your weight unless you're riding on the track. Second, you are confusing the harshness brought on by the high pressure with some sort of performance. If you put a stopwatch to these tires, it's highly unlikely that you could tell the difference. Bicycle Quarterly did some tests to determine "faster tires" and simultaneously asked their rider to tell them which tires were faster. He could not reliably tell faster tires from slower tires. "How they feel" is great for your self-esteem until you figure out that you're kidding yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
If I were you, try the Michelin Pro3's before you buy any new tires. I think you'll be amazed at how fast they feel. I race Pro3's and have never looked back. They are my tire of choice and they last a long time with no punctures. My last set of Pro3's for 2008 had 2600 miles on them, zero flats and were still going strong until I replaced them this year when I changed wheelsets. Bang for buck, you can't beat them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
to the OP...

the open corsa is the tire that i've standardized on (over gp4k, pro2, ultremo). i'm ~175lbs, run them at ~100psi and usually get ~3k miles out of them (but i run them until the cord shows...literally). the lower pressure helps with improving the lifespan.

with latex tubes, these are so far superior to anything else i've used it's ridiculous. that said, i've got a pair of pro3s in the drawer to try on a new build. i fully expect to go back to the vits (esp the new 320tpi version), but the pro2s would be my 2nd choice, so i though i'd better give the 3s a shot. i hear they wear *very* quickly...

oh, i do run some foretezza se on my vintage bike...'cause they're gumwall. nice, but not the same.


 

·
Two wheels=freedom!
Joined
·
708 Posts
I have almost the exact experience to the OP regarding these two tires. I've used them both, back to back, but on different wheelsets. I have the Vred's glued to my Kysrium SL3's and the Vitt's glued to Ambrosio Nemesis. Both are (obviously) tubulars, but I think the tread compounds are similar to their clincher cousins. I am about 195lbs and ride in hilly NW Conn. I go through rear tires very quickly. The Evo's are lasting me about 800 - 1,000 miles on the rear, and the Vred's are lasting me about 1,500 - 1,700 on the rear.

The I ride the Vreds at about 105F/115R and the Evo's at 100F/110R. The Vreds are narrower, measured 22mm inflated and the Evo's are 23mm inflated. That is why I run the Vreds a little higher.

I have been having a VERY hard time getting the Vred's and have to pay list at my LBS, but the Evo's are easy to get and I pay a little less for them.

Both are VERY high quality tubulars, as a matter of fact, both are better built and lasted much longer than my last set of Dugast's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dookie said:
(but i run them until the cord shows...literally).
Yikes!!!! You a CRAZY man!!! Seriously, that is scary. I couldn't do it. You must have brass ball bearings in your bottom bracket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rdolson said:
I have almost the exact experience to the OP regarding these two tires. I've used them both, back to back, but on different wheelsets. I have the Vred's glued to my Kysrium SL3's and the Vitt's glued to Ambrosio Nemesis. Both are (obviously) tubulars, but I think the tread compounds are similar to their clincher cousins. I am about 195lbs and ride in hilly NW Conn. I go through rear tires very quickly. The Evo's are lasting me about 800 - 1,000 miles on the rear, and the Vred's are lasting me about 1,500 - 1,700 on the rear.

The I ride the Vreds at about 105F/115R and the Evo's at 100F/110R. The Vreds are narrower, measured 22mm inflated and the Evo's are 23mm inflated. That is why I run the Vreds a little higher.

I have been having a VERY hard time getting the Vred's and have to pay list at my LBS, but the Evo's are easy to get and I pay a little less for them.

Both are VERY high quality tubulars, as a matter of fact, both are better built and lasted much longer than my last set of Dugast's.
Thanks for sharing your experience with these tires. Although you are getting significantly less mileage on your tubes than my experience with the clincher versions. Is that typical? Do you generally get a less mileage out of tubulars than clinchers? As for availability, I concur with your assessment. It seems that the Vred Tricomps are not as readily available as the Vitt OC-CX. Especially the white Tricomps. Even tough finding them overseas.
 

·
Two wheels=freedom!
Joined
·
708 Posts
As I noted, I'm a heavier rider who rides in the hills. (How's that for an oxymoron) For example, I rode a 58 mile loop last week that had almost 6,000' of climbing. My weight and the hills wear out rears quickly. I typically go three rears to one front. I have one bike with clinchers and I usually run Evo's on it and seem to get about the same 800 - 1,000 miles out of a rear.

I prefer the ride of tubies, so that's what I roll, headaches and all.

The closet clincher I have ever ridden to the feel of a tubular was the Vitt Open All Weather in 700/23. They stopped making them after manufacturing moved to asia and they replaced it with the Pave 700/25. The Pave doesn't ride the same. I have one pair left of the Open All Weather that I use sparingly on my clincher wheelset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Yikes!!!! You a CRAZY man!!! Seriously, that is scary. I couldn't do it. You must have brass ball bearings in your bottom bracket!
that pic is a bit extreme...i don't usually push them quite that far. just wasn't paying attention to this particular set. 2k-2.5k is about right though, heavily squared off. the one in the pic was probably 3k+. yes, it's just wear...not a skid.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top