Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lucky enough to be here in Spain only a quick hour's drive from Seville right now and would like to roll up there for the TT. Problem is I'll need to rent a car (no big), I've never driven around here, I don't speak Spanish, and I've never been to a pro race. Anyone got tips? Maybe a good website where I can find out about specifics of the race (in English)? Should I wear a Borat suspenders thong?

Any general help here is greatly appreciated.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
See other thread "Jens Voigt advice to fans" - some good pointers there!

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Try to find a tight corner or climb, (ie. slow spot), otherwise in the TTT they will be blowing right past you!

I saw 2 stages of the 2007 Vuelta while there on a vacation - first was the finish of a stage in Avila, watched them come up the climb into the medieval city. We stayed in Avila overnight, I ate my breakfast 5 feet from Abraham Olano (who was working for the Vuelta). We then watched them depart the next day where I heckled Horner as they came up the same climb into town again, then hustled to the train station and trained to El Escorial. Then walked up a climb for 5 km in the drizzle (with luggage in tow!) to see them come by on the way to the finish. I saw Evans crack right in front of me, his hopes for the Vuelta that year went down the tubes before my very eyes. Also got to give Magnus Backstedt a big cheer and run-along.

Where are you now? You might not need to rent a car, it is actually quite easy to get around Spain on the train and Seville is well-serviced from almost anywhere in Andalusia. Once you are at the train station it is easy enough to catch a cab. We did over 2 weeks in Spain without a car rental, just using train, cabs and buses. The train info is at: www.renfe.es

Good luck, have fun I wish I was there :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks big time for the responses. I'm in Rota right now, but unfortunately for me work plans changed, and I couldn't get up there last night. I don't have the freedom to get out for another stage either, so Sevilla was my only shot. Pretty big disappointment.

Maybe it'll work out next year...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts