Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just a post out of curiosity. I'm currently training for my first triathlon and I've been away from my road bike for the entire time I've been training so far. I took a few months off during the winter before beginning training, so I am curious to know what my avg speed is at this point. So today I decided to measure my speed doing the basic distance/time equation. Thing is, I am riding a MTB with knobbies on the road.

My avg speed was, well...pitiful, but a good portion of the ~1 hr ride was headed straight into 50kph gales (yeah, it's not called Windy Wellington for no reason). So it makes me feel a little better. But still, not great.

I'm curious, for anyone who has ridden the same course with a knobbie mtb then a road bike, what is the average mph difference between the two, or what type of differences do you think I can expect?

Or am I just super slow anyways ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
Hey all,

Just a post out of curiosity. I'm currently training for my first triathlon and I've been away from my road bike for the entire time I've been training so far. I took a few months off during the winter before beginning training, so I am curious to know what my avg speed is at this point. So today I decided to measure my speed doing the basic distance/time equation. Thing is, I am riding a MTB with knobbies on the road.

My avg speed was, well...pitiful, but a good portion of the ~1 hr ride was headed straight into 50kph gales (yeah, it's not called Windy Wellington for no reason). So it makes me feel a little better. But still, not great.

I'm curious, for anyone who has ridden the same course with a knobbie mtb then a road bike, what is the average mph difference between the two, or what type of differences do you think I can expect?

Or am I just super slow anyways ;)
I can't speak for everyone of course, but personally I am about 2-3 mph faster on my road bike than I am on my MTB with knobbies. I also gained about 1 mph when I switched out the knobbies on my MTB for slicks. I was also gaining fitness during this same time so am sure that is a factor in my increasing speed as well. Of course your mileage may vary...

Later,

Jay B.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I ride my full squishy MTB on part of an MUT, and I'm probably a full 5mph slower than I am on my geared road bike. The weight, rolling resistance, wind resistance, sitting way more upright, vertical movement when pedaling..... I'm doing about 15 on my MTB, and 20 on my roadie.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Treker said:
I can't speak for everyone of course, but personally I am about 2-3 mph faster on my road bike than I am on my MTB with knobbies. I also gained about 1 mph when I switched out the knobbies on my MTB for slicks. I was also gaining fitness during this same time so am sure that is a factor in my increasing speed as well. Of course your mileage may vary...

Later,

Jay B.
I've done about 3 or 4 rides on the same route with both types and find the difference for me is about 2-3 mph also going from a full suspension ~35lb mtb to a 18lb road bike.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
15-20% slower on my locked-out HT w/ race tires than my road bike during my morning commute.

But I would bet that training on a MTB and racing on Roadie is not the best idea...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses, they're exactly what I am looking for.

Yeah, I know training on a MTB and racing on a tri bike isn't the greatest way to do it...but at this point I don't really have another option.

I will, however, be able to train my last 1.5 months on my tri bike, as I will be back in the states and have access to my bikes. Hopefully that will be enough time to get adjusted back to the position and develop the different muscle groups.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I commend my fellow RBR members from refraining from the customary
shenanigans, i.e., jocularity. I see a trend developing, one of uncommon
restraint, civility, courtesy, and decency. Here this fellow comes before
you, asking an honest question in good faith, and the responses are
likewise forthright and pedestrian. I for one would beg to differ, in blind
tests between my TCR advanced and my Santa Cruz Heckler in a downhill
course with jumps and whoopdy doos, the SC was consistently faster
so I must inevitably conclude that MTB bikes are universally faster than road
bikes under all conditions.

·
Registered
473 Posts
well it will partly depend on what kind of mtn bike it is... especially what kind of suspension it has and the weight. most department store mtn bikes will weight at least 35 lbs and the suspension does no good but slow you down. on the other hand, some mtn bikes weigh 25 lbs and if you can lock out the suspension it wouldnt be all that bad on the road.

with that said, comparing even a cheap road bike to a cheap mtn bike on the road, it is night and day, seriously. maybe it is only 2-3 mph difference, but it feels like a lot more than that.

i know cus i went from riding a 35lb mtn bike as a road bike to riding an 80s steel Schwinn road bike. night and day there. then i went from the steel to modern day aluminum and carbon bikes. not quite night and day but still a huge performance increase, most notibly with the stiffness.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,045 Posts
16mph average on the MTB (with slicks). 19mph on the road bike. It is less than you think.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the short answer is 'a lot' though i am sure theres a bit of mental in it as well

have been off my mtb for a couple of months now, 1st ride back on mtb today to get to some local trails, its a route i take regularly on my road bike

i seriously felt like i was hardly moving it was horrible - note i dont have a computer on my mtb so i cant give exact figures

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.