Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Different races

spinnertsaf said:
I am 51 years old and i want to enter into racing,maybe a cat 5,or a senior race. Question is at what speed do i need to be at to be able to race a cat5 or a senior race.
Depending on your locale, you may find that for a Cat V race, there won't be an age category beyond "35+" so you could end up racing against some pretty young guys. USCF seniors can be much faster than Cat V.

General advice is that to enter a race, you should be able to average 20 mph for an hour at 100 rpm. Racing is a LOT about being able to handle surges, so you'll need to do interval work to be sure you're ready.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Many races also have a restriction in the Masters races and only allow Cats 1-4 because of field size limits imposed on Cat 5 races. Around here (southern New England), the 45+ races are some of the fastest fields outside of the Pro/1/2 fields.

See if there are any training series in your area. They are usually quite competitive but low-key enough to allow you to learn and get used to racing speeds and pack etiquette. I have seen a lot of guys start in our local training races who couldn't hang any more than two or three laps in May but were up there contesting the sprints by August.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
The races available depend on where you live.

Here in NorCal there's a lot of master 45s. Most races have M45 1/2/3 and M45 4/5. Sometimes there's even a M45 5 race.

I agree on doing the training races if your area has them. Thats what they are there for.

Also, if you are not yet doing racer-oriented group rides, start. You can learn a lot about group riding there. You'll also get an idea of how you're doing and where you need to improve.

The speed you need to be is just fast enough to hang in, and faster then everyone else across the finish line. It's not like running or tris, drafting and tactics play too much of a part to make average race speeds very useful.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Depending on your locale, you may find that for a Cat V race, there won't be an age category beyond "35+" so you could end up racing against some pretty young guys. USCF seniors can be much faster than Cat V.

General advice is that to enter a race, you should be able to average 20 mph for an hour at 100 rpm. Racing is a LOT about being able to handle surges, so you'll need to do interval work to be sure you're ready.
To add, work on lots of intervals and sprints too if you want to challenge for the win perhaps.

Work on spinning.

And more importantly, work on riding in a group too if you haven't? Worse thing is not knowing how to do that and riding dangerously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.