Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. I just purchased my new used bike. It's a 2004 KHS Flite 900 for $450 tax free. I visited the LBS and they said it was the right size but needed a few modifications to be the best fit. My question is, How fast can you ride a 6 mile course of flat land? I do have 5 streets to cross on the bike trail, but I want to get an idea of how fast I need to get. My first triathlon is in Sept. If you have done a sprint tri in the the past, what are your swim, bike, run times?

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
What is the wind speed, and am I riding into it, or with it, or is it a cross wind? And is it 6 miles non-stop? Or do I have to wait for traffic lights?

·
Novice
8 Posts
hey. haven't any triathlons myself, but if it helps, I ride a much similar course (12 miles, 6 each way, local bike path/greenway but with a few lights) and I usually average between 15 and 17 mph. not sure if that's good or bad, but hope it helps.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Way too many variables to ans. the question. What the wind speed & direction will be, what the course will be like (flat hilly, lots of tight corners) how many other riders, will you be allowed to draft, ( yes, in some TRIs riders are allowed to draft), are just a few questions will come into play.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,495 Posts
there's this thing called the internet...you're actually on it right now. why not check the results from that race last year and see what splits racers did? or find another race w/ similar distances and check that out?

·
Registered
756 Posts
cxwrench said:
there's this thing called the internet...you're actually on it right now. why not check the results from that race last year and see what splits racers did? or find another race w/ similar distances and check that out?
+1... And don't forget that the goal is not to ride the bike segment as fast as you can! That would leave you dead for the run.

Also beware that the advertised distance of some "sprint" tris are inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have no idea but I'd guess I could keep up 24-25 MPH for 6 miles if flat and no wind to speak of so what ever that works out to for time.

I'm just a road biker. I'd assume real tri guys are much faster than me because my idea of a tri is Bike, Shower, Pizza. Although if biking isn't the first event that would probably slow them down towards times of a schmuck such as myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frpax said:
What is the wind speed, and am I riding into it, or with it, or is it a cross wind? And is it 6 miles non-stop? Or do I have to wait for traffic lights?
For the first 3 miles I am going against 7-10 mph wind and the opposite on the way back. Furthermore, it would be with traffic lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cxwrench said:
Thanks for the idea about looking up the splits. I hadn't thought of that, I guess that's why I'm posting in the beginners forum. But you seem a little mad. Maybe that seat on your bike has been up your ass too long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hank Stamper said:
I have no idea but I'd guess I could keep up 24-25 MPH for 6 miles if flat and no wind to speak of so what ever that works out to for time.

I'm just a road biker. I'd assume real tri guys are much faster than me because my idea of a tri is Bike, Shower, Pizza. Although if biking isn't the first event that would probably slow them down towards times of a schmuck such as myself.
Thanks for the mph thoughts. I do have to try your version of a tri though.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
OK, 3 miles out, and 3 miles back. Traffic lights. Drop bar. Slight wind, but nothing to get all bent about. Too bad about the traffic lights... they screw up any rhythm you get into... but oh well.

I'd start out holding 20mph and take it up to 23/24 about 1/2 mile before the turn around. Then with the tail wind, 25+

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
jramos801 said:
Thanks for the idea about looking up the splits. I hadn't thought of that, I guess that's why I'm posting in the beginners forum. But you seem a little mad. Maybe that seat on your bike has been up your ass too long.
Don't be too upset with us. This is one of the most common questions we get on these forums. Unfortunately it's impossible to answer. There are so many variables that come into play that nobody can predict anybodies speed. In addition to the physical factors already mentioned like wind, hills, pavement surface, etc., there's also an emotional component. Maybe I rode the course yesterday and just felt great...a world beater. Today I ride it and I just feel lazy. I could do it, but I just don't feel like it. I'm not sick. I'm just not motivated.

The problem with us is that we get soooo many questions asking the same thing that sometimes we tend to roll our eyes and sigh deeply when somebody asks a how fast question. We're not bad people but like everyone we sometimes lose patience. Don't take it personally. cxwrench is a good guy and has a bunch of experience and knowledge. Using the search function can almost always give you much more info much faster than you'd get by posting it here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
frpax said:
OK, 3 miles out, and 3 miles back. Traffic lights. Drop bar. Slight wind, but nothing to get all bent about. Too bad about the traffic lights... they screw up any rhythm you get into... but oh well.

I'd start out holding 20mph and take it up to 23/24 about 1/2 mile before the turn around. Then with the tail wind, 25+
Thanks for the input, I bought a speedometer and ready to ckeckout what I can do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Don't be too upset with us. This is one of the most common questions we get on these forums. Unfortunately it's impossible to answer. There are so many variables that come into play that nobody can predict anybodies speed. In addition to the physical factors already mentioned like wind, hills, pavement surface, etc., there's also an emotional component. Maybe I rode the course yesterday and just felt great...a world beater. Today I ride it and I just feel lazy. I could do it, but I just don't feel like it. I'm not sick. I'm just not motivated.

The problem with us is that we get soooo many questions asking the same thing that sometimes we tend to roll our eyes and sigh deeply when somebody asks a how fast question. We're not bad people but like everyone we sometimes lose patience. Don't take it personally. cxwrench is a good guy and has a bunch of experience and knowledge. Using the search function can almost always give you much more info much faster than you'd get by posting it here.

Damn, this must be an important issue if you feel you have to write that much to someone you don't even know. Am I in the Elite Forum? If you don't like what someone has written, there is a button called "back." Did you know that you don't have to reply? For all the others, thank you for your valuable input; despite ALL the variables that a beginner does not consider!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to give a little reference. I ride a hardtail mountain bike on the roads and average about 17mph on 20-30 mile rides with about 50% flats and 50% hills. I did change the knobbies out to some semi slicks but they are still 1.9 wide.
A couple of times Ive averaged 23-24 mph for maybe 2-3 miles just to see how fast I could go.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
jramos801 said:
Damn, this must be an important issue if you feel you have to write that much to someone you don't even know. Am I in the Elite Forum? If you don't like what someone has written, there is a button called "back." Did you know that you don't have to reply? For all the others, thank you for your valuable input; despite ALL the variables that a beginner does not consider!:thumbsup:
Damn, this must be an important issue if you feel you have to write that much to someone you don't even know. Nah, just trying to be helpful.
Am I in the Elite Forum? nope.
If you don't like what someone has written, there is a button called "back." Did I say I didn't like what you wrote?
Did you know that you don't have to reply? Really? Well noobsauce, noticing your attitude after I offered an olive branch, I'll put you on my ignore list. Feel free to do the same.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
How much do you have to bike, swim, and run? (separately)

i'm a swimmer before a bike and can give you some times on distances if you need

1 - 20 of 23 Posts