Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been riding on some a Zipp 303 tubular (front) for the last year or so, and recently at speeds above ~25mph , the wheel starts to wobble around a bit. Granted I don't hold speeds like that for long, but on long descents or during a sprint it just feels incredibly unstable. So my question is, why is it happening? the tire seems to be glued on well, looks perfectly round, and doesn't have any damage. Thanks in advance!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How much do you weih? Does the wobble go away when you touch your knees to the top tube?
That wobble can happen for many reasons. The tire can be part of the cause, the tension in the spokes, the weight of the rider, heck even the way you hold your bars can cause it. More information might be able to help.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's a recent problem. I'm 160lbs, 5'10". I haven't tried to put a knee on the top tube to see what happens. The video link was very interesting... I'm using a ti quick release, and in previous road races used a steel one, so maybe that's a part of the issue. I'm going to check the pre-load on the bearings to see what happens on my next ride.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It's a recent problem. I'm 160lbs, 5'10". I haven't tried to put a knee on the top tube to see what happens. The video link was very interesting... I'm using a ti quick release, and in previous road races used a steel one, so maybe that's a part of the issue. I'm going to check the pre-load on the bearings to see what happens on my next ride.
Headset adjustment is a common source of speed wobble, as is the rider having too tight a grip on the bars or even shivering in colder weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.