Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Spend $10,000 on a bike and eat lots of Wheaties :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
OP, you got silly answers for asking such an open ended question.

The sort answer is intervals. Ride faster over short periods of time, and have a plan.

What that plan is is open to interpertation.

A few good books are friel's training bible, the time crunched cyclist, and numerous others.

If you ask specific questions with info about what you currently do, and your goals/time available, you will get some more specific answers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Spend $10,000 on a bike and eat lots of Wheaties :)
I was actually thinking that no one suggested buying upgrades yet when I hit submit on my post above.

·
Registered
622 Posts
really really serious answer - riding your bike without focused training will not make you faster. The poor guy is a newb and wants to understand training...I think he knows he needs to ride his bike.

Although you can design workout plans yourself, getting a coach to help was the best investment I ever made.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
If he's a newb then just about anything will make him better.

Intervals are simple: make the bike go as fast as you can make it go, till you can't any more. rest, recover, repeat.

There are lots of different kinds of intervals; you can learn to pace yourself. 30 seconds... 3 minutes.... 5 minutes... 10... 20. Each is different and trains you slightly differently.

Or, just find a fast group ride and ride with them. Faster riders also make you faster.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you want top end speed, or higher average speed? Intervals help with both but are boring and a little too serious for me. If you want a higher average speed just ride your bike more.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You'll gain fitness by pushing yourself moderately hard one day and then rest the next. Repeat. Losing weight helps as does riding with faster people.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Bestest answer yet... Go to mexico and hire a special doctor.

Second best answer... get an altitude tent and simulate sleeping on top of Everest..

Third best answer... Don't listen to any of us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts