Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Garcia built wheel. I sent the wheel back for repairs/diagnosis of what was going on with it. Total rebuild. All that is original now is the shell of the hub. Everything was toast. Which I don't really understand, my thinking is the wheel has less than 3K on it. I will say that a few years back I got caught in a hurricane remnant for 4 days of steady driving downpour rain. That was in the fall, the next spring I started to hear a ticking noise in my Ti frame with those wheels. Let the insanity begin. I believe that the water that I took on on that trip got into the freehub and gradually destroyed everything. I have multiple bikes so I think the low mileage on the wheelset made for a gradual fail. But hey the ticking noise in my frame stopped after I rebuilt the bike about 4 times, replaced the crank and BB, cassette, chain, stem, bar, seatpost, trying to get the ticking noise to stop. It was just occasional tick, not all the time. Pulled the wheelset off and put a spare on, no more noise!

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
I will say that a few years back I got caught in a hurricane remnant for 4 days of steady driving downpour rain. That was in the fall, the next spring I started to hear a ticking noise in my Ti frame with those wheels.
if you are saying that you drove your car in a hurricane for 4 days, with your bike on the roof rack the whole time, then you've just answered your own question. all but the best sealed cartridge bearings would be shot (Phil Wood, Chris King might not be).

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, did not mention that

Lectron said:
I believe maintenance (or lack of) is the key word here.
I had the rear assembly apart numerous times and cleaned lubed etc. It has cartridge bearings in the hub and I believe needle bearings in the freehub. So really the cartridge bearings, nothing I could do there to my knowledge, the needle bearings? taking apart the cassette carriage, did not have instructions on that. My thoughts on sending it back were that the pawls and spring had worn out and needed replaced. The carriage, possibly needed overhauled or replaced, which is basically a total rebuild for $82..

I WISHED I could have been in a car while the hurricane was going. No, I rode in it for about 6 hours a day for 4 days. Was on a week long tour, day 4 it began and was non stop until the afternoon of the last day. I tried every possible avenue to get off of the ride, could not find transportation other than my bike. My car was several hundred miles away.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
rubbish. the hubs are junk, that is your answer. My bottom of the barrel campy hubs are also cartridge, they are still perfect with well over 12k... yes i've ridden in pretty heavy rain as well... i didn't bother servicing them, b/c well... they are sealed cartridge... if u expect that rain will wash away all that grease somehow inside the hub 'dust' caps, and the seal of the actual bearing considering its sheltered location on the bike... well...its a wonder Mountain / dirt bike hubs don't need complete replacement after every use.

if you think its an egangement issue the pawls, then that's even worse... that should not wear itself out in that kinda mileage imo.

open up the hub and compare it to a very good quality hub, and you don't need to be a materials engineer to tell the difference. Soft, crap materials. sad but true.

· Registered
799 Posts
Junk?

I had Mike G. build me a wheelset using the Speedcific hubs that I used on my cyclocross bike. Used them for a few years racing and training....in mud and all conditions. The wheels and hubs were good as new when I sold them! Junk? Not fom my personal experience. I would use them again, no second thoughts.

Michael
www.MLKimages.com

· Registered
329 Posts
weiwentg said:
(Phil Wood, Chris King might not be).
May I interject?

Phil Wood is quality stuff, do not misunderstand, but they can not withstand driving rain, or lots of exposure to water.

Yeah I know, they are supposed to use the same seals found in submersible pumps, but I can tell you from direct experience that you can absolutely destroy Phil bearings in less than 3 months if you ride in bad enough conditions (Missouri winter of 2006).

Not dissing Phil...they installed new bearings for me for free (I had to buy the bearings though). Just wanting to convey the message that you can not buy an impervious bearing.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess what surprised me was

I am gentle on equipment, I have only had one other wheel freehub go bad and it was a Rolf wheel which was replaced under warranty.

I mention the hurricane only because either by coincidence or direct cause is when the undetectable noise began in the spring of 2006, after the hurricane. Mind you that was the fall of 2005 and the wheel problem got really bad (felt like something was not engaging in the hub when I would input some umph after soft pedaling, with a simultaneous crunch/snap noise I could feel through the crank arm) in the last few weeks, but noticed symptoms last fall. If that makes any sense at all. It was a gradual progression of symptoms that I could not pinpoint until I swapped out wheels a few weeks ago that led me to conclude that something might be wrong in the freehub. It was a mystery noise, not some catastrophic lock up/ failure that led me to the freehub/hub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.