Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have a new set of wheels built up....thinking of the Velocity Arrowhead OC built up with 32 in the rear (I weigh about 200). I'm seriously considering having Mike at Odds & Endos build this up...but am wondeirng about the Speedcific hubs. I've read nothing but good things about Mike, jsut wondering about the hubs

Can anyone compare these to others, such as Ultegra (DA)????? or other???

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Ultegra hubs are the ultimate value in bullet-proof hubs. The Speedcific (which I think are actually Joytech hubs) are pretty nice. Lighter, not too expensive, reasonably durable. Note that the freehub body is aluminum and has 9sp style splines, so you need to use clusters that have carriers for the larger cogs. Large solo cogs will chew up the freehub splines. Hugi 240s would be lighter than the Speedcific, but will cost more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ericm979 said:
Ultegra hubs are the ultimate value in bullet-proof hubs. The Speedcific (which I think are actually Joytech hubs) are pretty nice. Lighter, not too expensive, reasonably durable. Note that the freehub body is aluminum and has 9sp style splines, so you need to use clusters that have carriers for the larger cogs. Large solo cogs will chew up the freehub splines. Hugi 240s would be lighter than the Speedcific, but will cost more.
using the speedcific hubs for 5 mos no issues in the freehub body using ultegra cassetes w al carriers in larger cogs and commuted in this hubs and bulletproof bulid and using japanese sealed berarings stock and crmo rear axle completed 1 century w wheelset with this hubs aprox 95 miles152km and using in the trainer no issues and powerful rider friendy hubs

·
Registered
482 Posts
No complaints for the speedcific front I have.
Mike built me a nice set of clinchers but I went with the DT Swiss rear hub & the speedcific front.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a wheel set from Mike, with over 5000 miles on them. No problems so far, still as smooth as day one. Also Mike supplies all the bearings etc for the hubs so nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
352 Posts
One thing that looks attractive about the Speedcific hubs, especially the rear, is that they're supposed to be incredibly easy to tear down and rebuild. Just an allen wrech does the trick, according to Mike's Web page

1 - 6 of 6 Posts