Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is the play in my Speedplay Light Action peddles normal?

• No, not normal, return them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, normal for Light Action, upgrade to Zeros

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, normal for all Speedplays.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WTF - you road the same peddles for 17 years?!? Cheap bastage...

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang -

Just got a set of speedplay light action peddles. (first new peddles in about 15+ years - they are replacing some Shamino PD-6402's that I got on closeout in '93).

Tonight I got to try them out for the first time, about 30 minutes on rollers in the kitchen. I noticed there was some play in the shoe-cleat connection on both peddles - as I came over the top and across the bottom, I could feel the peddle "take up the slack". Not really much there, might not notice it on the road, but on the rollers, once I noticed it, it bothered me.

So the question it - Do all Speedplay's do this? do all Light Action do this? IF I got the Zero's, would this play go away? HFTU and ride?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are you are speaking of side to side float, or interlocking up/down play?

If it's float, then the Light Actions have up to about 15 degrees of it by design.

The Zero Speedplay model is more of a fixed/limited-float pedal, very tight, and the old line X1 which they still make has even more float than the Light Actions.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The movement is not up/down or side to side, and it is not float. It is more a fore/aft movement. Also it is not smooth, it is more of a crunch-grind, total movement maybe 1/64" - 1/32", not much.

I talked to my brother after posting this thread, he is riding some older Speedplay X1's. He said he has had the exact problem with his. Told me to check all the screws in the cleat and make sure they were all tight, that cured his issues. I'll check that tonight and report back...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The movement is not up/down or side to side, and it is not float. It is more a fore/aft movement.
That being the case, confirm the cleat mounting base to the shoe is tight. What you're describing isn't normal. There shouldn't be any fore/aft movement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts