Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying Speedplay pedals but have a few questions.

1. On the light action I have read that they are vary easy to accidentaly come out off. Looking to hear any comments on this.

2. On the X5 pedals how does it feel standing up and peddeling with all that float.

3. Also looking for any other info or suggestion on Speedplay pedals.

THX: thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just ordered some of the Light Action steels because I heard that the Zeros are really tough to get in and out of. I have really bad knees and the Look Keos were way to much for me to get out of and did not have enough float either. Another thing to think of is that the Speedplay pedals come in four different spindle lenghts. I'll keep you posted after I get mine and test them out a little bit.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm new to the Zero's, they release like any other but may be a bit stiffer than a modest-tight Look. Getting in...I'm getting the hang of but it does require a bit of finesse for me at this point. Some times it's easy, other times I have to putz at it.

Trying to get in, I've managed to rub the paint away on the chro-mo version. Some say it rusts easy. I also have the stainless version on another bike, no worries about rubbing the spindle on that one.

I like the non-centering float! Just what my sports ortho said they were.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I have the X2s. Went with Speedplay because I have a bum knee; in my case, the non-centering float helps. With my previous pedals (SPDs) my knee would often be very sore after only a 25 mile ride.

Another thing I really, really like about these pedals is how easy they are to unclip from. Effortless. I tried a pair of SPD-SL (road pedal) and the torque required at even the lowest setting hurt my kneed. And I've never unclipped accidentally.

Before I got the pedals I read all about the skating on ice stuff, but honestly never felt it. With skating on ice your feet can go flying any which way. Not so with the pedals; yeah, you're heels move around but it's never felt out of control to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me, the trick with the zeros is to come straight down with the foot parallel to the plane of the pedal (level), which might feel like you're pushing the heel down (or lifting the toes up) a bit. Don't lead with the ball of the foot as you might with time, look etc. And push straight down, not forward.

Don't know about the light actions, but I can't imagine them being much easier than the zeros and still having the requisite stability. Takes 5-10 rides to master the entry of the zeros.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
dom3333 said:

1. On the light action I have read that they are vary easy to accidentaly come out off. Looking to hear any comments on this.

2. On the X5 pedals how does it feel standing up and peddeling with all that float.

3. Also looking for any other info or suggestion on Speedplay pedals.

THX: thumbsup:
1. I've got X2's, so I don't know about the light actions. I've never, ever accidentally come out of them.
2. It feels like standing up & pedaling! Seriously, though- it feels weird for about 10 minutes if you're switching from a pedal with recentering float. Then, it's awesome.
3. Keep an extra pair of cleats around and wear the coffee shop covers. They will start to develop a little bit of a "rattle" when they begin to wear out. Replace them when they do, and you'll never have an unclipping incident. The coffee shop covers keep them easy to replace. If you don't use them, then walking around on them can wear down the heads of the mounting screws.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
I have the x-2's as well. I switched to them after having my right shoe un-clip out of an SPD in a crowded ride. if you go with Speedplay, get the cofffee shop caps! The bottoms of the cleats are slippery, plus, if crap like small bits of gravel or wood get into the cleats, they wont engage or dis-engage correctly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On the subject of unclipping. This has become a regular occurrence with my zeros. It always happens on hills when I'm not aware that I'm turning my ankle. The disengagement is not a defect with the pedal since the cleat is simply being pushed to the point of normal disengagement. However, there is no possibility to adjust the float further, which would eliminate the problem. So if you ride without too much toe in or toe out, you would probably never have this problem.

·
Registered
416 Posts
dom3333 said:

1500 miles so far this year and no accidental unclipping for me. I bought them because I just wanted a basic no frills pedal with free float. Also, I find them no easier or harder to get in or out of than my former SPDs - neither are/were a problem for me the way is seems they are for some folks.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I've been using Zeros for years on all three of my road bikes. It does take a bit of practice at first, but now I don't even think about it and can get into them or out of them effortlessly. I should point out that for me a big difference in the Light Actions and the Zeros is the float: both offer 15 degrees, but for the Light Actions, it's free float and can't be reduced. With the Zeros, you can reduce it to, well, zero, which is crucial for me. I wouldn't be able to use the Light Actions - the float would kill my knee. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had my new Light Action Speeplay pedals installed this past Sunday.

At first I thought the float was an issue but I told myself it is a learning thing. Sure enough I have since put on a bit over 80 miles and I adore them.

There is no way a person could accidentally pull out of them, pulling up on the upstroke gives you a lot of confidence with this pedal. I seem to get more power with these pedals, but that could be in my head.:rolleyes:

I am still "iffy" sometimes clipping in, but I have been with Look for many, many years so I just need to re-learn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 200 miles on my Light Action pedals. They have ample, non-centering float. It feels a little odd at first, but now I don't notice it. My knees love it.

I've had no problems whatever with unintended release. However, they are easy to get out of when needed.

Getting into them is different than SPD pedals; you should push straight down with your foot parallel to the ground. It is easy when no one is looking; I futz around a bit when others are watching or a line of traffic is behind me.

I've never heard of Speedplays coming in four different spindle lengths.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
8Ring said:
I have 200 miles on my Light Action pedals. They have ample, non-centering float. It feels a little odd at first, but now I don't notice it. My knees love it.

I've had no problems whatever with unintended release. However, they are easy to get out of when needed.

Getting into them is different than SPD pedals; you should push straight down with your foot parallel to the ground. It is easy when no one is looking; I futz around a bit when others are watching or a line of traffic is behind me.

I've never heard of Speedplays coming in four different spindle lengths.
Here is the link to the Speedplay website about the spindle lengths. Apparently you just let the dealer know and they will custom order them for you. It was Competetive Cyclist that I talked to about it. http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cg.thumbs&cgid=6

I just installed my Light Actions a few minutes ago. They were not too bad, but there are a lot more parts to the cleats than any other pedal I've tried. The shims were poorly molded and one of them would not seat into the shoe without a pair of pliers. You are right, you have to push straight down on them. They are quite easy to get in and out of. Not nearly as tough as the new Keos I have. I like them.

I went for a little test ride in the neighborhood and my knees hurt afterwards, but I don't think it has anything to do with the pedal at all. Maybe the shoes? Well, I have a long history of VERY bad knees, so this is nothng new. I think it may be the shoes. I have been using my Lake mtb shoes as road shoes too since my knee surgery in January. I've been virtually pain free with the Lake MX-190/Crank Bros Candy combo. I'm going to try some Lake road shoes next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.