Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to road biking (got a scatantte CFR over holiday) and is considering a time impact pedal or Speedplay Zero. I've been using my old shiman SPD on the road bike but its too flimsy (accidently releases and difficult to clip in due to small platform).

I read reviews on both of the speedplay and time and they are both positive? Can't decide? any suggestion for a newbie who want to get started with road bike cleats? :confused:

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Best case scenerio.

If you have a couple of riding friends who have the pedals and wear simular size shoes, ask them if you can try the pedals. Posting this here all you are going to get is everyone's opinion of their favorite pedal. BTW I've been riding Speedplays since 1991. Do I need to say more?

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I have both Speedplay and Time.

Speedplay is the hands down light weight winner. It's nice that it is double sided. It offers ample rotation. It's not as easy to clip into as I originally expected and I do get occasional unexpected releases from the pedal.

Time is a bit heavier. It's one sided. It offers rotation and a little lateral glide which is real nice. It is easier to get into than I expected and I have never had an unexpected release.

My vote goes to Time. It's a little heavier, but a better peddle.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Speedplay

I agree with Juan on this asking questions is good but usually only leads to others opinions.It would be nice to try them out.
I have tried just about every pedal out there and settled on speedplay X-2's great pedal,will not go to anything else other than another set of speedplay's

·
Skinny Legged XC MTB geek
80 Posts
Speedplay

I just got my first road bike in November, and built it up as a custom project, with a lot of light weight parts. I purchased Speedplay X-1's for their weight advantage, 2 sided entry, and free floating design. I also bought after market, aluminum "x plates" with titanium fasteners to replace the steel ones that come standard. The pedal set now weighs only 134 grams.

Unless I am mistaken, the Time pedal systems weigh over a pound. In my mind, there must be something pretty special about the Time's if you end up going that direction.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I'm new to road biking (got a scatantte CFR over holiday) and is considering a time impact pedal or Speedplay Zero. I've been using my old shiman SPD on the road bike but its too flimsy (accidently releases and difficult to clip in due to small platform).

I read reviews on both of the speedplay and time and they are both positive? Can't decide? any suggestion for a newbie who want to get started with road bike cleats? :confused:
I've never ridden Time pedals on the road, but I owned two pair of Speedplay pedals for years.

I really liked the double-sided thing. Helps to get in at stoplights and at the starts of crits. That they're lightweight is a bonus.

The downside to Speedplay is that they're more sensitive to dirt than most other pedals. The way the cleats lock into the pedals is touchy if there's grit inside the cleat.

Since you're asking about the Zeros, I won't tell you about the "pedaling on ball bearings feeling" that the X pedals have.

I have SPD-Rs now. The best thing I can say about them is that they're pedals. To add a little fuel, I'm about to upgrade to the SPD-Sls here soon. I need 3 pair, so it'll have to be in stages...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Speedplay Zeros get my approval

I love my Zeros! I have over 8000 miles on my pedals and original cleats with ZERO problems. As for the comment above about accidental or unintentional cleat release: I would suggest loosening the 4 attachment screws ever so slightly. It sounds to me like the spring is actually binding due some overtightening. The supplied screws have blue threadlock already applied, so handtightening is all that is needed. Most of the time (as with reviews of Deda stems and various other "bolt breaking / slipping / stripping" threads) the end-user fails to follow proper instructions. I've been guilty of "ham-fisted" wrenching in the past, but thankfully found the light ... TORQUE WRENCH + Reading Instructions + Following Instructions = Happiness.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Newbie vote for the Zero's

I am a newbie to the road crew as of last summer. I built up a CAAD 6 Cannondale and put speedplay zero's on it based on reviews from this site. I love them and they are perfect when riding: great ground clearance, float, ect..... The only complaint i have is that they can be somewhat tough to get into (not out of!) I am sure it will get better the more i use them

As far as being new to the road crew, these are great pedals so far :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Curing the Clipping in problem with Zeros

Difficulty clipping in is quite often the same ghost that unintentional unclipping is. They are both, more often than not, related to the OVERtightening of the 4 cleat screws. My friend complained that his Zeros were the hardest pedals he ever had to engage. I couldn't figure out what the problem was for a long time. One day he took his cleats off to clean them (don't ask). When he put them back on, he cranked down on the bolts the way he had originally. Suffice it to say, he had the same difficulty clipping in. He let me reattach his cleats using a combined method of cross-tightening (1,3,2,4 ... X pattern) and torque wrenching to spec. VOILA! No more difficulty clipping in.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Another vote for Speedplay

I have ridden with Speedplay X-1s for 4 years and wouldn't go back to anything else. I have even bought X-3s for the wind trainer. One of the issues I have had with clipping in was related to lubrication and dirt. Speedplay pedals and cleats like to be kept clean and lubricated with White Lightning.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Time, and time again......

The Speedplays didn't give me a solid feel. Felt they moved around too much and that I was only pedaling on a small surface. Time Impacts are awesome. No, they don't weigh a pound. They are 300 grms or 340 for the all steel. Easy to get in and out of, never release unexepectedly and have 3 tension adjustments. No foot pain, great platform.

·
Registered
282 Posts
the major difference between the pedals is in the way the float works. the time pedals have a return spring that pushes your foot back to the neutral position while the speedplays have a free float. which is better kind of comes down to personal preference and what your own neutral position is. personally, i can't stand free float...i have never felt comfortable sprinting with free float pedals but feel much safer with the times. i too have never had an accidental release with time pedals. however, if your toes naturally point in, you might have problems with the return spring in the times.

also, the times have lateral float in addition to the rotational float.

one big thing to keep in mind between these two pedals as well is that the listed weights are misleading. the weight often given for the speedplays is for the pedal alone and ignores the fairly significant weight of the cleat, which is where the engagement mechanism is on the speedplays. while the pedal and cleat combo is still a little lighter for the speedplays, it is nowhere as significant as it seems when you read the listed weights in a catalogue.

i think that the best advice has been given, however, and that would be to try out each pedal type if you can.

good luck!

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Time fo' me....

I went from Look to Time Impact last year and have no regrets. In the middle while I was waffling over what to do I rode a friend's bike with Speedplay X's on them. Too much float for me. Him too, he has switched to Zero's and has them dialed in for minimal float.

Other than the float, I just didn't like how the pedals felt under my feet. Not unstable, but not stable either. Just felt weird, but if I had done more rides I am sure I would get used to it. The Times are my choice. If I wanted to save weight, I'd be looking somewhere other than pedals anyway - the Impact S's actually are lighter than my old Dura-Ace Looks (now property of J's Haiku), so I guess I got that goin' for me (which is nice).

Pedals to me are almost like saddles - lots of choices, and it's ultimately what you like as far as looks and support.

·
DonRacer
63 Posts
Another vote for time impacts

I switched to time impacts from looks about 5 months ago and haven't looked back. A big selling point for me was cleat longevity. I ride in a city and get to put my right foot down a lot and would only get about 1500-2000 miles out of a set of looks. The time cleats still feel like new after about 1400 miles. They are also not very sensitive to contamination. I like the low stack height as well. I was considering speedplays as well, but decided against them because of cleat walkability and sensitivity to dirt. One of the few cases when the weightweenie in me didn't prevail ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Impact Mag-Ti weigh in at 260g and feel like a dream I have no complaints about the ride or entry or exit. I used to have hot foot with another pedal once I switched my feet thank me everyday!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Bonked said:
cleat longevity...gotta learn to track stand! ;)
I learned how to track stand back in the days of clips and straps... Good thing to know if you roll up to a light and don't have time to flip open your strap!

I do it now 'cause getting into the D/A SPD-Rs is a PITA. It is usually easier not to unclip in the first place.

Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
Time

Just got a pair of Speedplays. I used to ride Time exclusively until I had to start paying for my own stuff. Even back 10 years a go, a pair for Time Titan Mags with the shoes would cost $500. Now that Time pedals are 3 hole compatible, it's much easier to afford.

Persoanlly, I think if you can afford to go with the Time system, it's the best out there. One warning is if you're a sprinter, the lateral (side to side) movement might feel a bit loosey goosey. Best thing for your knees though. You not only get the angular rotation, but I think it's about 3 mm side to side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.