Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I bought my wife a new Orbea Onix bike. (she LOVES it) However, she also transitioned from SPD pedals to Speedplay.

The new pedals / clips are so hard to clip in to that she can't do it without standing up in the pedal to snap in. This also makes snapping out problematic and has caused a couple close calls. We all understand how much she wants to avoid crashing her new bike.

I'm not familiar with Speedplay as I ride Shimanos. Is there a way to loosen those up? I'm not seeing any obvious adjustments.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
tech info...

Here's a link to tech info for speedplay. There are several possible problems. Most likely the plate that attaches to the shoe is not flat, due to improper shimming that does not match the contour of the bottom of the shoe. Another possibility is simply the need for lubrication. You have to use a dry lube relatively frequently, so the springs will move easily. I spray mine with silicon lube at least every week.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.support

My Sidi shoes take a special shim that comes with the cleats. Even using the proper shims, I've found that the plate is not always as flat as I'd like it. I use a precision straight edge to reveal a cupped plate. My cure was to use some Gorilla glue (very small amount) between the plate and the shoe. This glue expands to fill any gaps. The trick is to only lightly tigthen the screws holding the plate, until the glue has cured, then finish tightening. You can also place a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and slide the plate (attached to the shoe) across the sandpaper to reveal any cupping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had that problem . . .

when I tightened the cleat screws too tight. I backed them out a bit, which caused a couple to depart. Not something you can find at the hardware store, by the way. Got new ones from Speedplay (they're great to deal with) and installed with Loctite. No more problems.

Great pedals.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
dcp said:
when I tightened the cleat screws too tight. I backed them out a bit, which caused a couple to depart. .
My experience has been that this is the most common cause of what the OP is describing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wrench down on the cleats as tight as I can, and yes it is hard to get in and out at first, but after about 30 times in and out, the cleat will work in and be easier to operate. Better than lose screws and lose cleats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Agree on the bit about the cleat screw tension. I believe the user manual says something about only tightening them 1/4 turn, though with the Loctite on them it's hard to judge the point where the screws are just starting to get tight.

Also, keeping the cleats clean is essential, as is lubing them regularly with dry lube. I carry one of those Park Tool gear cleaning brushes which works great...light, thin, not too bulky, and has stiff bristles as well as a pointy end for digging debris out of the springs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wrong screws for me.

I had a problem when I installed my cleats with the screws that came with the shoes. Everything was tight and for the life of me I could not clip in, although I didn't stand and stomp real hard. Being very embarrassed, I went to the LBS, they fussed with it until they realized that the screws provided with the shoes were a bit taller. Replaced them with shorter ones and no problems since. (Note: this is with speedplay frogs, so not sure if this is relevant.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Loose Speedplay Cleats

Anyone have problems with the Speedplay screws falling out or a broken cleat/ If so please call or write me. It's important.

Dave at Goldsafety dot net (have to spell it out due to site restrictions).

310-292-9285

Thanks,

Dave Gold

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
+1 on the light action. You can still use the Zero cleats if you want to float adjustment. Use light action pedals. Been using them for months now and have never had a problem. Easy in, easy out. :thumbsup

·
Registered
215 Posts
The new pedals / clips are so hard to clip in to that she can't do it without standing up in the pedal to snap in. This also makes snapping out problematic and has caused a couple close calls. We all understand how much she wants to avoid crashing her new bike.
Assuming the cleats are straight, keep in mind that the circlips in the Speedplay cleats take a few rides/days to loosen up.

Mine were very tight and difficult to clip in & out (in was the worst) when new. A few days in and they were fine, and have been since. Stick with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My wife had the same problem as the OP with the Zero's regardless of how lightly tightened the screws were.

Swapped over to the Light Action pedals and all is good, she is very happy now and no more complaints.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Make sure you install the cleats properly. Underneath is a the word top with an arrow that goes towards the toes. On the X series, the front (toe side) of the pedal is a bit narrower and the back (heel side) is a touch wider. If you install the cleats backward, you'll still be able to clip in and out, but it will be really, really, really, hard. Don't ask how this longtime Speedplay user knows this. :mad2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Her weight might be the problem. Someone I know had to give up on speedplays after not being able to click in smoothly despite having tried all sorts of mechanical adjustments. She is ~110lbs, we concluded that must be the issue (there's also some info on the net pointing in that direction)

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Anyone have problems with the Speedplay screws falling out or a broken cleat/ If so please call or write me. It's important.

Dave at Goldsafety dot net (have to spell it out due to site restrictions).

Dave Gold
Keep trolling

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Check to make sure you're not curving the cleat when you tighten it to the shoe. If you don't use the shims to keep the cleat level the springs will bind and she'll have difficulty engaging the pedal. Her weight should not be an issue if she simply pushes down on the pedal.

Follow the instructions or take them to your LBS if you have further difficulty. There's no reason for them to be difficult.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife has no trouble on hers and is about the same weight. Something we do at the shop I work at is clip the shoe in by hand, then partially disengage the cleat so that the circlip is being stretched. We then let it sit like that for 15-20 minutes and that seems to make the process easier.

·
Registered
525 Posts
On a set of zero's I actually tried stretching the circlip by hand and adjusted about 2mm on each side. Made them feel like light actions but this was on a set that was getting replaced soon so I didn't really care if any damage occurred.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stupid question - the part that attaches to the shoe first. There the same arnt they there no left and right on that part correct?

MDL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts