Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my Speedplay ignorance. I installed these on my shoes this morning.

Installation was very easy. I have a question about moving my heel outward a bit to avoid rubbing the crank. I know I adjust the two little screws on the outside of the cleats. Do I do it with all the fastening screws tight or do I have to loosen the four cleat screws that attach to the base plate to make adjustments?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
is your shoe very close to the crank arm? you can move the whole shoe further away from the crank arm by placing all 4 screws in the middle of the slots.

·
Registered
184 Posts
cmg said:
is your shoe very close to the crank arm? you can move the whole shoe further away from the crank arm by placing all 4 screws in the middle of the slots.
Based on his configuration it's already setup to move the feet as far away from the cranks as possible. That's the same setup I have. If you move the cleat to the left the shoe get's closer to the cranks.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
skizzle86 said:
Based on his configuration it's already setup to move the feet as far away from the cranks as possible. That's the same setup I have. If you move the cleat to the left the shoe get's closer to the cranks.
If the shoe is moved to the left (screws in mid slot or beyond) the shoe moves further from the crank.

·
9,790 Posts
skizzle86 said:
He has it set up to move the foot as close to/into the crank as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PlatyPius said:
He has it set up to move the foot as close to/into the crank as possible.

It took me about 5 minutes of staring at the picture to get it straight. You're absolutely right. The picture has the shoe closest to the crankset.

I'm not adding any value...I just had to mentioned that it confused me for a few minutes.

Ray

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you line up the crease on bottom of cleat with the end of your metatarsal (ball of your foot) ? It looks like the cleat is sitting a little aft (away from the toe).

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Loosen the 4 screws and move the whole shoe out.
I use SpeedPlay Zeros, and move the shoe as far away from the crank as plate will allow.
You can then tighten, but don't over tighten the 4 plate screws.
The Heel Adjustment can be done anytime.

john

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I took the picture I hadn't set anything up yet in terms of for and aft or distance from the crank. I have moved the cleats/shoe further from the crank but I left the for/aft position as in the pic. I like to have the ball of my foot a little forward on the pedal. I found I don't have hot spots when I do this. I'll do a few longer rides before I adjust the for/aft.

Will I need to place a bit of blue loc tight on after every time I loosen the four screws to adjust the left to right placement of the cleat?

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
LocTite

civdic said:
Will I need to place a bit of blue loc tight on after every time I loosen the four screws to adjust the left to right placement of the cleat?
Not IME. I just grese the threads and tighten them "firmly." Some people report serious screw loosening w/o thread locker, so YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts