Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a rebuild body kit for my X2 pedals and the kit came with
the screw based end caps for inserting grease.

My question is can I use something like the injector below to push the grease thru ?
It seems to me the 2 outer bearings look like sealed bearings and not sure how grease
can make it to the needle bearing side.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This will work

Just make sure you do it slowly and turn the pedal while you pump in the grease. You will see the old grease come out between the pedal body and the axle. Keep pumping in grease until you see the new grease coming out. Clean it up and you are done.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Almost

cthomas said:
Clean it up and you are done.
Not quite. The grease will continue to come out for some time, so expect to keep wiping the axle for a while :) Other than that, everyone's advice is spot on. Good tip on turning the pedal as you push the grease through - otherwise it may channel a bit and you'l get clean grease coming through with dirty grease left in the pedal.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Not quite. The grease will continue to come out for some time, so expect to keep wiping the axle for a while :) Other than that, everyone's advice is spot on. Good tip on turning the pedal as you push the grease through - otherwise it may channel a bit and you'l get clean grease coming through with dirty grease left in the pedal.
Got the same advice from Kerry and I agree. You may want to wipe your cleats off or take your shoes off the first couple times before you walk on the white carpet like I did. Now I have some speedplay cleat markings stained on the carpet. Everytime I walk to the front door I see the grease stains....and it makes me wish I was riding instead of leaving for work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts