Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a technique to increase durability of my Speedplay cleats by using using some 3M non-slip tape that is cut into pieces to cover both pair of screw holes and add a half circle piece to front of shoe toe area. This protect screw heads, prevents cleat wear and provides traction when walking. I can also insert Coffee Caps over cleats for additional protection.

See pics for material used and application.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
good idea...

Seems like a reasonable idea.

What's the piece of tape around the spring wire on the left side? Is the wire gouging the pedal spindle? I had this problem with my left foot only. It indicates the need for a wedge to correct foot misalignment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tape is a piece of teflon tape I put on both left/right cleats due to some wear interface with pedal axle. I not sure about the wedge shim. It is happening on both sides. These are older Sidi Energy shoes and the cleats have about 2-3yr use. I think it's time for new cleats.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
just what I figured...

Thought that looked like teflon tape.

Cleats may not last more than 3-5,000 miles, maybe more depending on maintenance. If you still get cleat to pedal spindle contact with new cleats, try the shims. A foot misalignment problem is quite common.

I've owned several sets of new pedals and cleats. I always got the same rubbing on the left side. Only a wedge would cure my problem.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Those cleats are shot. Look at how flat the locking spring is. I wouldn't be much fun having that snap. I replace mine way before they get that worn.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
biker said:
Can the springs be ordered seperately ? If so, what is the cost ?
They can be and are much cheaper than the whole cleat. Call Speedplay or check with your LBS since they can order them for you. I remember they had a new spring kit but don't remember the exact cost. TMB (Too many birthdays!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts