Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Serotta User
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at ways of cutting down weight off my road bike and noticed these Speddplay X1 Ti pedals were quite light at 150g/pair. I also read reviews that say this $250+ pedal is quite good (4.35/5 stars). But I was wondering, with the combined weight of the cleat (110g!!) would that make it worth the money. What is the best pedal AND cleat combo out there in terms of weight and cost (and performance). Any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I've been using speedplays since 1998. I started w/ x3's, then moved on to the x2 and x1. I dont know that I would want to switch to anything else, as I had problems w/ fixed and variable float pedals- the free float works for me- and I've never had a problem clicking into the pedals. I love them.
Other people compare them to pedaling on hockey skates- they cant get used to the free float.
M2racer has a lighter pedal out now as well- you might want to look into that one as it weighs less, costs about the same.
I find pedals to be much like saddles- it's a very, very personal choice. At least you know if you buy them and dont like them, there's quite the resale market!

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you subscribe to the theory that every little bit adds up and you can afford it then go for it. Otherwise they don't perform any better than the x2s. I've been using Speedplays about as long as Mdeth1313 and can give them equally glowing reviews.

One thing to note is that Speedplay states a rider weight limit on the x1s of 185lbs.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
jeff262 said:
If you subscribe to the theory that every little bit adds up and you can afford it then go for it. Otherwise they don't perform any better than the x2s. I've been using Speedplays about as long as Mdeth1313 and can give them equally glowing reviews.

One thing to note is that Speedplay states a rider weight limit on the x1s of 185lbs.
I rode Speedplay's for over 15 years. If you have the have the lightest get the M2Racer pedals, functionally they work just as well as the Speedplay pedals. If the M2's were not lighter I would still be riding the X1's. Other than weight they are the same as the X2 since they share the same bearing system.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just switched from X-1's (have been riding them for 3 years) to Look Keo carbons. I like the Looks much better so far. A bigger platform (I sometimes got hot spots with the X-1s), less play in the cleat (there is quite a bit in Speedplay) and the bolts don't come loose in the cleat like they do on the X-1 (I had to use a ton of loctite to keep them snug-I had a race and they loosened up shortly after the start. Not good). Plus, I find that the entry/exit on the Look system is a bit smoother.. I use the black (no float) cleats for Look. Don't forget that the Speedplay system is light for the pedal, but the cleat is heavy: the overall system isn't as light as it first seems. With that said, you may like the Speedplay pedals: they seemed to work fine for me. But, I found something that works even better now, IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.