Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one having this problem with Speedplay Zero pedal cleats? I've been using them forever, but my last pair of cleats did this. I figured it was just a fluke, but here it is again - about 2500 miles on these cleats. Notice the yellow plastic nubs that hold the cleat spring in place have sheared off. So now the spring slips around and the cleat needs to be replaced.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
I have run multiple sets for multiple years and not had this issue, although the cleats do take a lot of punishment due to their design. I normally keep an extra set around just in case.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
2500 miles while a little on the low side for cleat life but still dosn't seem that bad. I would say that Speedplay has the shortest cleat life of all the major brands and that 2500 miles is on the low side of even what Speedplay's typically run. That said, I think it's still inside normal expected life expectancy.

One thing to consider, if you don't need the float adjustment feature, the X series don't have any plastic parts and you have to wear out the medal spring before they fail.

Another thought, if you don't already use them, get yourself a set of coffee caps to keep the grime out of the cleat mechanism while off the bike.

Scot

·
Registered
428 Posts
Every set of Speedplay Zero cleats I have had have done that...

I can generally milk over 5k with them, but that's about the limit. I view it as simply a cost of using the best pedal system available. $32 / year ain't that bad in my opinion. If, however, you are doing more mileage than me and breaking these things more often...well, the cost/benefit ratio clearly comes into question. Contact Speedplay and express your concern about the cleat-life. Who knows, maybe they will replace them at a discounted rate or even free....you never know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
2500 miles while a little on the low side for cleat life but still dosn't seem that bad. I would say that Speedplay has the shortest cleat life of all the major brands and that 2500 miles is on the low side of even what Speedplay's typically run. That said, I think it's still inside normal expected life expectancy.

One thing to consider, if you don't need the float adjustment feature, the X series don't have any plastic parts and you have to wear out the medal spring before they fail.

Another thought, if you don't already use them, get yourself a set of coffee caps to keep the grime out of the cleat mechanism while off the bike.

Scot
Wow 2500 miles??? I wish, I get about 600 and then I can't get them to unclip any more, had to crash last time cuz I couldn't unmount, Does anyone have any pointers for me to why this happens? The current pair is getting to the point of calf cramp to unclip :mad:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tip: Use the "Cafe" covers if you're going to walk on them....

ownedbybiggs said:
Wow 2500 miles??? I wish, I get about 600 and then I can't get them to unclip any more, had to crash last time cuz I couldn't unmount, Does anyone have any pointers for me to why this happens? The current pair is getting to the point of calf cramp to unclip :mad:
Using the "cafe" covers greatly increased the lifespan of my cleats. Additionally, the more you plant your feet at intersections, the more you will wear the cleats. Practice track stands and it should improve the lifespan. Also, when disengaging, smoothly rotate out on a level plane. Yanking up simultaneously can reduce the lifespan. Beyond that I don't really have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ownedbybiggs said:
perhaps mounted too tightly to shoe which ristricts float spring and also makes spring release more difficult.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was going to contact Speedplay but wanted to check first if this was a common problem.

Yes, I always use the coffee shop caps, keep them as clean as possible, and lube as recommended every few rides. X's are out of the question, since I need the restricted float. And I have a terrible sense of balance (yeah, I know, "Really? Quick, get on a bike!" :) ), so track standing won't be happening.

$32 / year ain't that bad in my opinion
True, but at my current rate it's $240/year, since I ride about 1000+ miles/month.

I have three sets of Speedplay Zeros, and come to think of it, this just started happening with my recent set on my new bike. I don't see anything obviously awry. Maybe just a coincidence.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
ownedbybiggs said:
Does anyone have any pointers for me to why this happens?
Too Tight?

I don't have any experience with Zero, just X Series, but what you describe can be caused by over tightening the bottom cleat plate.

Just checked and the same warning exists on both the Zero and X Series. I tried to copy and paste out of the PDF, but only got the below.
��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
Read it here: http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/ZEROPedalSystemInstructions022208web.pdf

HTH
Scot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.