Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often have you been applying the SailKote lube on cleats/pedals ?
Trying to decide if it is worth the expense vs much cheaper PTFE lubes.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have been riding X2 pedals for almost 20 years. If the cleats get muddy from a misplaced step, I spray them with WD40. Outside of that, I don't lube the cleat at all.

If they are making noise, then check to make sure all the screws are tight and hit them with some lube.

But, I wouldn't spend extra money on "special" cleat lube. I don't like the wax lubes b/c of black crud transfer from it to everything it touches.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
One of the SRAM travelling tech reps used to advocate SailKote for their derailer cables about 15 years ago. I never did get any as I couldn't find it.

I'm like Crit Boy - I use WD-40 on my Zero cleats and never clean or lube them any other way. I just replaced them late last year after about 12-15000 miles of use. They never gave me an entry or release problem.

I always thought Speedplay cleats would be quite finicky but I was wrong. Oh sure I don't go stomping through mud in them..............

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sail Kote is very good, but I can't say how other dry lubes would compare. I use it on cleats/pedals to prevent squeaking and maintain in/out force, though I don't use Speedplay. One might say it repels rather than attracts dirt like wet lubes can. It's also really good on some types of cables.

·
Registered
734 Posts
When you have a can on hand because you use it for sailing stuff, use it for cleats and cables. It's absolutely incredible stuff. But if you've no other reason to own a can, there are other cheaper formulations that do the same thing only slightly less well. Elmer's Dry-Slide is a good one. There's a Super Lube near-equivalent that's good too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Over 15 years, I've lubed speedplay cleats maybe 6 times. So, I don't need to do it often and I just use some finish line that I have.

I do seem to need to replace the cleats every 5-10k miles. Lubing may help.

I've heard people who can't stand them because they squeak, that would be a great time to lube if they are the cause.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I give mine a light squirt of whatever dry chain lube I have on hand maybe every half a year or so. Don't think about it too much. Contrary to what the interweb says about zero cleats, they have worked well for me with little maintenance on a road application.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I use dry lube on my speedplay zeros. I put it on the pedal surface and not directly on the cleat itself. I once tried to use some regular petroleum lube (don't recall which - probably du-monde), and it just made the cleat a sticky mess, picking up all kinds of gunk.

·
Registered
223 Posts
had speedplays for a few years, haven't lubed them in don't know how long....not sure if it matters. haven't re-greased them either.....just lazy!

don't think they are as fragile as its made out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you have a can on hand because you use it for sailing stuff, use it for cleats and cables. It's absolutely incredible stuff. But if you've no other reason to own a can, there are other cheaper formulations that do the same thing only slightly less well. Elmer's Dry-Slide is a good one. There's a Super Lube near-equivalent that's good too.
I have delayed responding until enough feedback to get a sense of SP lubing.
Now my take on lubing :

I been using SP pedal/cleats for about 16yrs - first with X2s for about 10yrs and then to Zeros.I think November Dave has the best response to lubing.
I have been using a PTFE based dry lube for about 3-4yrs and have noticed a improvement in cleat/pedal durability from previous. I am pretty religious on lubing probably 2-3 x a week.
I want to give SailKote some time to see how it works in longer intervals, so I did buy a small 6oz can for $15 at West Marine.
The thing about applying SailKote is the their recommendation to clean surface of any lube/contaminants which is a pain for prepping.
Most likely after testing I'll end up going back to previous method.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have delayed responding until enough feedback to get a sense of SP lubing.
Now my take on lubing :

I been using SP pedal/cleats for about 16yrs - first with X2s for about 10yrs and then to Zeros.I think November Dave has the best response to lubing.
I have been using a PTFE based dry lube for about 3-4yrs and have noticed a improvement in cleat/pedal durability from previous. I am pretty religious on lubing probably 2-3 x a week.
My first set of speedplay pedals lasted for about 15 years with rare lubing of the cleats (multiple bikes, multiple cleats, one pair of pedals). After not greasing the pedals for three or four years, they were shot. The o-rings don't hold grease anymore.

I am good with a pair of pedals lasting for 10 or more years without need to lube cleats 2-3 times per week.

I ride my cleats for 5-6,000 miles. Once again, I am good with that duration and doing negligible cleat maintenance (e.g. clean when mud/dirt blocks spring bar).

I don't see how lubing the cleat will significantly slow down the squaring off of the spring bars. From my experience, the squared/flattened spring bars are the reason the cleats need replaced.

I clean and lube my drive train multiple times per week. So I have no problem with preventative maintenance. Just don't see how regular lubing adds much more than a black/dirty/greasy cleat surface that gets anything you accidentally touch dirty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I use dry lube. No where near the problems with contaminants getting into wear areas. The bar wear is why I switched to Zeros. In my opinion they wear much better. Once the wear pattern starts it tends to accelerate wear of everything.
I also lube pedal axles when the rotation becomes fairly easy.
The question of interpreting what what level of wear is acceptable varies.
If the play between pedal/cleats creates a rocking level its time for me to replace. Sometimes both items.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts