Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my pedals but there is a problem with it. Both top side pedal edge is wearing down and the black plastic plates of the cleats is wearing also. It seems it is rubbing the exactly the same spot on both side and I don't know why it is doing that. Any advance user experince this problem? I have the same issues with my Shimano pedals with the plastic cover until Shimano went to the steel plates. I only used the pedals for 300KM and it is not a lot of distance on them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Have you followed the Speedplay instructions to lubricate the cleat with a "Dry PTFE" (teflon) lube? Have you used the coffee shop cleat covers to keep dirt out of the cleat? There will always be some wear since there is movement between the cleat and pedal but keeping the cleats clean and lubed will help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did all that. 300km is not very long usage. The metal part is not the problem. It is the plastic part on the pedal and the cleats inside.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I can't imagine why your pedals or cleats would wear this fast in only 300km.
My pedals are worn, and I have replaced the Bow-Ties once, but mine are 10 years old.
Something doesn't sound right??
i have had wonderful service from my SpeedPlay X2's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called SpeedPlay about it and they told me I might need some longer spindle. Another option is to shim the cleats on the side that is wearing to give me a more even pressure to the pedals.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
post a good clear photo of both sides. yes, you may need a shim or a wedge or even both. I have a 7mm shim and 1mm varus wedge on one foot and nothing on the other (or 1mm wedge sometimes feels ok too). So far after ~6000km on same set of cleats and still life left in them. So I suspect in your case it's either installation/maintenance issue or rider pedal fit issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
acid_rider, I hope it is not an installation issues because speedplay pedal are the easiest to install. From the original post I mention I had the same problem with my Shimano SPD-SL pedal. I rub two 3-4mm round spot on it seem I put pressure only on those two pots. So the same problem exist from two style of pedal is telling me maybe something is not righ with fit. I put more pressure on the outside of my feet while I ride and I think this might be the issue. So I will order some shims to see if they helps.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
if you put more pressure on outside of foot you probably need a varus wedge instead of a shim. shim is for leg length discrepancy, (varus and valgus) wegde is for dealing with pressure on inside (valgus) or outside (vrus) of feet. Get some BFS wedges for Speedplay Zero and experiement, thick side of wedge on inside i.e. thick closest to the frame/cranks, try just 1mm wedge at a time and keep adding 1mm at a time until you feel the foot square/even/planted at bottom of pedal stroke. Remember even 1mm wedge makes noticable difference. If you feel like the foot is canted a bit too much, remove 1mm wedge at a time until it feels even. Try one foot at a time, chances are you need wedges on both feet but likely you need a different number per foot because people are rarely 100% symmetrical. Good luck. I have been there, done that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts