Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was lubing my chain this morning, I noticed that paint on the spindle near the platform (for lack of a better term) is worn away. Is this normal? Note, the bottom the spindle is fine, the paint is still there. It's just the top. What causing it?

These are the Cromoly spindle. Do I have to worry about rust without the paint?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
No...mine have that wear too. Now if you ride/live near the ocean or high humidity environment, wiping with your favorite metal protectant might be a good measure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sa7nt said:
Nope that's standard on the chromoly zeroes. The SS and Ti don't do that.
Well, the SS and Ti don't have paint to rub off. There may still be contact made at those points. Do you know what causing it? Are the cleats rubbing against the spindle? To me it seem like a design flaw if the cleat or shoes are making contact with the spindles If that's the case, isn't that adding unwanted resistance? Unnecessary wear and tear?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have SS Zeroes and don't have any visible wear in the area indicated. If the cleats were making contact, I would imagine there would be significant visible damage.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have the same wear pattern on my Chromoly Spindles. I think it is from cleat contact when your knees wobble to the side. Once I added Fit-Kit Wedges and eliminated knee wobble the wear stopped.
I polished the entire spindle so it is now silver and no marks show.
Very easy to keep clean and shiny.

john

·
Registered
77 Posts
My light-action have it too.

The only difference is that it goes all the way around on both pedal axles. The only thing I found that could cause it was the inner float stop on the cleat. As I ride heel in, I often bounce off the stop.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Mine look the same. Nothing to worry about. Just keep riding enough to wear away the rust before it takes hold ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I have the same wear pattern on my Chromoly Spindles. I think it is from cleat contact when your knees wobble to the side. Once I added Fit-Kit Wedges and eliminated knee wobble the wear stopped.
I polished the entire spindle so it is now silver and no marks show.
Very easy to keep clean and shiny.

john
A question about the wedges...did you use/have to use the stainless steel plates that Speedplay recommends with the wedges?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts