Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...English is not my native language so bare with me

I got my self the speedplay zero chromoly pedals. Since I have overtightened one of the cleat fastening screws I had some difficulties engaging pedals in to the cleats. Then I loosen up all the screws and things got a bit easier although it is still quite stiff to engage. The crank arms almost bend a little when engaging.

I do have one question about the baseplate snap shims. I used the 5R and 5F shim and the base plate closely matches the curvature of the shoe. But on the front side there is a small empty gap between the shim and the baseplate. Should this pose any problem?

By the way. Everything is flat. Also when the cleat is mounted it comes totally flat on the surface of the baseplate.

Many thanks for your help.

here is the picture

Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Office equipment Glass Windshield

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Don't worry about your english, it's better than many people on this forum that grew up speaking it!

It doesn't take much to overtighten the speedplay screws and that can make clipping in harder. I don't think the tiny gap would create any problems. When new the Zero cleats can be hard to engage but they definitely get better over a short break-in period. Make sure no other screws are over tight and also make sure the pedals are lubed. Follow the directions on tightening, it doesn't take much.

How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have been in contact with Speedplay tech support (very nice personal) via mail. I have sent them these two photos:

Yellow Cable Synthetic rubber Wire Tan

Yellow Line Technology Cable Metal

And here is their reply:

"Looking at your photos, cleats look like they are mounted correctly.

You should be ready to go."

I suppose everything should be ok...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just so you know Speedplay cleats work very well when clean and not so much when there is plenty of debris so I would highly recommend using those rubber protectors if you haven't already purchased them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have ordered myself these ... Product Circle Steel Output device still debris can come in...but they will be on the cleats all the time..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Didn't even know they had cleat-specific lube. Where's my blushing emoji?
I've always used a couple of drops of chain-lube since it was probably close by.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts