Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use speedplay pedals? I'm looking into the x5. Anyone got any advice about these? I've always used look but have always been curious about speedplay

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
twitch1 said:
Anyone use speedplay pedals? I'm looking into the x5. Anyone got any advice about these? I've always used look but have always been curious about speedplay
Been using x2s for years. I love them. Completely reliable, good feel, easy clip-in and clip-out. No complaints.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been running Speedplays for the past two seasons. I don't know why I use to use Looks and other brands, they're a POS compared to Speedplays, IMO.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
SpeedPlays are great.
Have 3 sets of X2's dating back to 1996.
The X5's are also great!
No-Look double sided entry, durable, reliable and trouble free.
Never had a bearing problem. Squirt bearings with grease occasionally.
The SpeedPlay website is also terrific.:thumbsup:

SpeedPlay X2 Stainless Steel Road Pedals
View attachment 158407

·
Registered
523 Posts
Been using Speedplays for probably a decade. A very good pedal. After using Look's, they will feel awkward the first time because you will not be used to the freedom of movement. That feeling goes away quickly.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Another Speedplay guy, although I prefer the Zeros.

:thumbsup:

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
My wife used them at first... Kept getting stuck to her pedal which caused her to fall a couple of times. Her right cleat was really difficult for her to get off even after all the adjusting we tried... Switched her to Look's and she is much, much happier.

I've never tried to Speedplays as I've been really happy with my Looks. But I'll admit, being able to use both sides of the pedal does interest me.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I like the Zero's. For me, the cleat is much happier for my feet. With Look pedals (and SPD's, and other triangular shaped cleats), the cleat hits a spot on the bottom of my foot that causes numb toes. Even through carbon soles.

Speedplay work great.

·
Quadrogenarian
316 Posts
Count me as another happy Speedplay user. I've been pretty successful at finding gently used ones at good prices.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had a pair of X2's for a few years now and they've always worked great. I just bought a second pair to keep on another bike so I can stop switching them between bikes all the time

·
TWD
540 Posts
x2's, love them. Finally broke the shoe cleat after walking/riding in them for 6 years. Replaced the part easily for $45. Wouldn't consider anything else

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Bad cleat installation or dirt

MaddSkillz said:
My wife used them at first... Kept getting stuck to her pedal which caused her to fall a couple of times. Her right cleat was really difficult for her to get off even after all the adjusting we tried.
It sounds like either the cleat was deformed because it wasn't shimmed properly when mounting, or that you had dirt in the cleat. My wife rides X2s and the only time she has release problems is when the cleats are dirty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Loved 'em! Best out there for me... but gave 'em up because they were just impossible to walk in. Still a wonderful pedal... just stay out of the grass/dirt and keep your cafe covers close.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Get dirt or mud in them and your ride will be ruined. Without an air hose to blow them out and some more white lightening to lube them your out of luck. Not for winter riding. Great in the summer. Just my experience.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts