Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my commute home last night, and when I turned onto the MUT from the road, I got on right behind a girl who was riding pretty fast. I passed her, but a few minutes later, I noticed she was staying about 50 feet behind. As I came to a large intersection, she caught up. We hooked up with another guy at the intersection. I was quite impressed that she stuck with me all the way until I had to get off the MUT about 6 miles later. She was a commuter with a good size backpack. The other guy we hooked up with was killing himself to stay with us. Girley didn't even look all that winded, although I never asked her to pull, no matter how much I wanted the view. She managed to average over 20mph, including the 21-22mph up a slight hill. She was quite cute.

It's the first time I've come across a girl that's been able to keep pace on the MUT. I wanted to ask her out, but then I remembered that I'm married and have a bunch of kids.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
you never know

JohnnyTooBad said:
It's the first time I've come across a girl that's been able to keep pace on the MUT. I wanted to ask her out, but then I remembered that I'm married and have a bunch of kids.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Seana Hogan commuted from Gilroy to San Jose and back daily, as she was training for RAAM (6 wins) and some record runs, like SF to LA. You might never know it from looking at her, other than her speed. No team uniform, probably just a yellow wind breaker and mirror on her helmet. She's quiet, never drafts others, and will grind you into the ground sooner or later. Cute, but married with kids, too. You just never know.

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Those are my favorites.

There used to be 1 who would blow past me on and old Cannondale. I always tried my hardest to catch/stay with her, but it was no use.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
bonus points

Sledgehammer03 said:
Those are my favorites.

There used to be 1 who would blow past me on and old Cannondale. I always tried my hardest to catch/stay with her, but it was no use.
Yes, women riders definitely get bonus points. It's amazing how much more attractive they become on a bike. Don't think it's just the spandex, either. Something about a woman who is lean, fit, and not only shares our obsession, but has the desire to train and suffer and do it well. Makes them overwhelmingly attractive.

I really like to see the group dynamic involving the ones like Seana. First time I met her was in a 5 day spring training camp in the Mohave desert and Death Valley in 2001. Guys would flock around her, but even though she had given birth, C section no less, less than 6 months prior, as the group of her and 15 guys rolled along, one by one the guys would fall off, desperately trying to stay on. Just so happened at the time that I was in my absolute top form, doing weekly road races and sub 10 hour double centuries. Seana had such determination and competitiveness that she would push me to the brink, just quietly pushing her 56 tooth chainring at 60 rpms at 22 mph for 100 miles, never showing the slightest sign of fatigue. Amazing. There have been stories of guys even in RAAM, either pushing themselves too hard to stay up, and blowing, or actually falling back and hanging out to talk with her. (No, not personally obsessed -- just the best example I'm aware of.)

Catarina Berge is another good example. She was local here until about a year ago. Got second in Furnace Creek 508 in 2001 and beat me by 4 hours. Won women's division of RAAM a couple of years later. Really, really strong. Again, mostly quiet and modest. Used to commute about 20 miles each way to work here in central California, and then go out and kill everyone in road races. Very, very fast. A blonde Swedish chick who would kick everyone's butt.

I have found that nearly all of the fast women are very quiet, fairly unassuming. Makes them all the more alluring.

· Registered
551 Posts
Fixed said:
Yes, women riders definitely get bonus points. It's amazing how much more attractive they become on a bike. Don't think it's just the spandex, either. Something about a woman who is lean, fit, and not only shares our obsession, but has the desire to train and suffer and do it well. Makes them overwhelmingly attractive.
Yes indeed... it's dead sexy.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed,

You pretty much described the chick I was pacing yesterday. Cute blonde pony tails, 20-something, quiet and unassuming, iPod in the ears. For a while, when the other guy was behind me, she moved off to my left. I don't think she wanted to be behind him because his speed was pretty erratic (didn't know how to pace). But then again, I was on my SS commuter, so I didn't actually have the cruise control set either.

When I waved the two of them past as I was coming to my exit, she held back, and I sort of got scared, because I didn't want to left hook her. That's when she spoke the only words I heard from her, when she said she didn't realized I wanted her to pass also, and that she would be turning around soon too. She had a really pretty voice to boot. The old guy was smitten with the young hottie.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
We've got 4 or 5 in our club that I have to really huff & puff to beat. One that just dusts me. I can hang with her for a few miles, but after that, she leaves me for dead.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
barbedwire said:
The good-looking girls are always the fast ones. :)
Around here, there are a lot of *good looking* girls that are too slow to want to hang back with. The fast ones are *attractive*, even if maybe less suited for the PG forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.