Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man, it's that time of year again. I was sitting here with the lights dimmed and saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. I dashed over and turned up the light even though I was pretty sure I knew what it was. Sure enough, a spider **UGH!** It was a brown oval shaped spider a little more than an inch long.( I am having a hard time typing this as I itch all over now.) I was bare footed and helpless and stood sweaty-handed and trembling while I considered escaping out of the back door in my nightie and sitting in the truck till my husband comes home. Then I considered trying to call my dog but didn't want him injured. There was a brief standoff then I saw it move and grabbed the nearest thing and threw it. It was a bottle of liquid Tide and it didn't get it. While it tried to crawl under the bottle I grabbed a dustmop but it disappeared! I am now sitting itching and paranoid on my desk. I keep feeling creepy things on my spine.
Oh I hate spiders, I think I have a mild phobia.:(

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AHHHHHH! Another one! This one was fairly small , about the size of a dime, but it was right under my chair. I managed to smush it but my paranoia is growing! Of course it's not paranoia if they are out to get you and I've been bitten numerous times over the years.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I'm ok with spiders -- they eat bugs and I hate bugs. One of those thousand legger f*ckers will send me running.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KenB said:
I'm ok with spiders -- they eat bugs and I hate bugs. One of those thousand legger f*ckers will send me running.
No no bugs are fine as are snakes. I can kill a bug but a spider reduces me to an itchy mess. I get total creepy crawlys all over my body.
Anyone know if that thing I saw sounds like a brown recluse? I cannot google because I might get a picture and that might send me over the edge at this point. I AM NOT KIDDING PLEASE don't post a pic! Just tell me if they have oval rather than round shaped bodies.

S

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
And here I was going to post my cool tarantula photo......

I rescue spiders. I think the word is out "go to this lady's bathroom, she'll put you in a dixie cup and take you outside":D

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
snapdragen said:
I have this great pic I took at the zoo a couple months ago of some nasty looking spider that spins some serious webs that I would post but won't because I am totally sympathetic.

Zeytin: Do you have a regular exterminator deal?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My Wife.....

is the most independant women I know. She'd rather get the wrench out and fix the plumbing than ask for help. She is afraid of nothing...........except spiders. They bring her to a knee knocking mess.

When she screams, I know there is a spider in the house.

Call me the Spider kill squad!

It's my job.

Len

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Len J said:
is the most independant women I know. She'd rather get the wrench out and fix the plumbing than ask for help. She is afraid of nothing...........except spiders. They bring her to a knee knocking mess.

When she screams, I know there is a spider in the house.

Call me the Spider kill squad!

It's my job.

Len
That's me. I rip out ceilings, run electric, travel to foreign countries, trimb tree limbs, empty mouse traps, all alone but if I see a spider I am a terrible mess. My husband still fights the job of killing them and thinks I am silly but I just can't stand them. The big hairy ones are the worst. When I go to bed last night every time I closed my eyes I saw the thing crawling up over the edge of the bed!

Len I know I've said it before, you are a good man.
Ken, no I don't have an exterminator service but I am going to put down some barrier around the house this summer. I am worried there maybe more of that thing last night. I don't even know where he is which is really creeping me out.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snapdragen said:

I rescue spiders. I think the word is out "go to this lady's bathroom, she'll put you in a dixie cup and take you outside":D
Thanks for refraining Snap. I'll do the cup thing with mice when I can corner them.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Brown recluse description (no pics)

Brown recluse is consistent with your description: oval abdomen about 3/8 inch long, 3/16 inch wide. But many other spiders fit this description and as their name suggests, brown recluse spiders rarely venture out into the main part of a house. They generally hide in basements and attics, particularly if there is a lot of clutter. They are not aggressive and will generally bite only if they are forced into contact with a person's skin.

That doesn't help with the heebie-jeebies and I am sympathetic with your fear. But I'd say that although what you saw is consistent with a brown recluse, it's even more consistent with many other harmless spiders.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Picshooter said:
This guy is not good
Great, now you've put zeytin, sn69, and who knows else on top of the table doing girly screams.:D

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Nuthin' girly about them. These are out-of-control bellows of raving fear and loathing.

Need I find and post photos of what, exactly, brown recluse venom will do to you?

In Scott's New World Order, right after we get rid of all the boy bands, the Yankees and people who get botox injections, we're getting rid of the spider lovers.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Alright flyboy, don't make me pull out the tarantula pictures.......

sn69 said:
Nuthin' girly about them. These are out-of-control bellows of raving fear and loathing.

Need I find and post photos of what, exactly, brown recluse venom will do to you?

In Scott's New World Order, right after we get rid of all the boy bands, the Yankees and people who get botox injections, we're getting rid of the spider lovers.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Spiders? What's wrong with siders other than what we've been educated to believe. Don't get me wrong here... some can inflict a nasty bite that can have a really bad result. But if you know your/their turf, you can easily recognize them and do what is necessary... I personaly don't mess with the good ones and chase the others away. They can be great pest control. I had a Wolf spider that was about 2" long in the body that lived in my house for a few years and I welcomed him as a part of the household. He/she? ate all sorts of bugs, loved crickets and helped to keep my plants and my house clean and worry free. He/she only came out at night when the lights were dim and headed only to the plants where he found food. If he/she saw me... gone! Called him/her? Wolfy.

http://www.spiderzrule.com/commonspidersusa.htm

Check out this site... good information!

EDB

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
sn69 said:
For the most part, brown recluse venom doesn't cause much trouble. Necrotic ulcers only occur in a small minority of bites.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Spiders are cool, as long as they stay off my bed. I've yet to figure out why they like living in my bathtub - must have something to do with the moisture. Those are the ones I rescue - I figure they'll starve if they wait around in the tub for food.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i don't like spiders.

a few years ago on a cycling trip, i stayed in a rickety B&B in NW arkansas (JT!!!). the kind of place you'd expect to find a few brown recluse spiders. natch', i checked under the sheets and flipped the pillows before going beddy-bye. guess what was on the underside of the pillowcase? an EMBROIDERED brown recluse. :) :rolleyes: :D

·
Banned
92 Posts
I found this bad girl outside my front door. I left her there. Kind of like a small watch dog. I was also moving out of the house soon anyway.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
OK, now that everyone else has posted their spider pix, here's my tarantula. I thought it was a girl, but later found out, the males go walkabout at mating time. So, this is likely a guy cruzin' for chicks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts