Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How are these wheels?
Why dont people say much about them?

and if bought on ebay for $1000, will there be a warranty on them?

(not for me, for a friend)

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nightfend said:
Spinergy had a bad reputation back in the mid to late 90's. A lot of people still avoid the company because of it.
what happened back then?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I believe they were one of the first to do carbon and other composite spokes. So you can probably imagine some the issues that came along with that. I also think they were outlawed by the UCI. Don't think they are under the same ownership/management anymore. Believe the main folks moved on to start Topolino. Think the new ownership is Asia-based and I'm not sure the new wheels have much going for them beyond the name and some flashy graphics.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see, so If someone were to consider the spinergy FCC's, what would be a similar, but better wheelset in the same price range?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
has anyone ever seen drag/aero data on these wheels - the pbo spokes look like they would make these very high in drag (like the mavic r-sys).

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
i see, so If someone were to consider the spinergy FCC's, what would be a similar, but better wheelset in the same price range?
I believe WilliamsCycling.com has some 38mm carbon clichers for $999.

You get a warranty too with great CS.:thumbsup: I have their system 30 (Al). They sure spin well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been running the Stealth PBO's for about 9 months/2500 miles. Absolutely no problems with them. Got em' off Ebay for $700. I'm also a heavy rider for what it's worth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The wheels in the '90s are nothing like the wheels now. The ones back then were the 4 paired spoke carbon and those had a nasty habit of cracking/failing. From what I saw, most of the failures were on MTB's, but they were still scary. I thought about picking up some back then for my MTB, but got Spins instead because of the Spinergy reliability concerns.

The current ones with the carbon spokes still seem to have a higher failure rate than regular wheels. Also, the wheels don't look very aero with the huge diameter spokes and so on. Having said that, I'd feel much safer on these than the old Spinergy wheels.

skyliner1004 said:
what happened back then?

·
Registered
55 Posts
103 said:
I've been running the Stealth PBO's for about 9 months/2500 miles. Absolutely no problems with them. Got em' off Ebay for $700. I'm also a heavy rider for what it's worth.
Hopw u r right, i just order the same ones:idea:
how they look after 9 months?

·
Registered
40 Posts
lucascarvajal said:
Hopw u r right, i just order the same ones:idea:
how they look after 9 months?
They still look good. The white spokes are kind of a pain in the butt to keep clean, but when they are look sweet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been riding a pair of FCCs for over a year. I love em! tough as nails and fast. I have about 4000 miles on them and have been very happy. They are great in crits!

I did just damage the front rim, but I hit a huge gap in the pavement that wasn,t pointed out at about 33 mph... Frankly I am very impressed with how the wheel took it. Flatted the tire and there is just a slight bump in the brake track. Most wheels whould have blown apart. I actually have ridden the wheel for about another 400 miles post incidet. I am now working with Spinergy to replace the rim.

I would totaly buy them again, and am thinking of some FCTs for cross.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts