Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as many other people on here have asked for opinions, I guess I am just adding to the masses.

I currently plan on doing some crits this year as well as my normal triathlons. I am trying to decide between getting Spinergy Stealths or Corima Aero HP's. I'd like to be able to use the wheelset for both if possible.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Keep looking

My opinion is this: Keep looking. I don't know what your money situaion is, but, I'd not choose the Spinergy set because of a lot of bad press. They seem to have problems right out of the box. Spinergy customer service has always seemed to be missing in action. Not a good deal if you need them. The Corima stuff is a new page for me. Aside from their expensive TT/track wheels, I've never seen much of their product stateside. If you are looking for, let's say, 50mm or better, check out Hed's newer Stinger, or Jet series. They are pretty fair priced. Zipp, Reynolds, or Mavic, can be had at a pretty good deal on ebay too. It depends on your money, wheel pref.(tubular vs.clincher), and if rim weight is a factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah the money is a little limited at the moment. I think in the end I'd love to spend the money on a Hed wheelset, but not sure if I'll be able to spend it this season.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I hate to tell you this...

But, the wheels aren't going to get you a lot of advantage. Spending the money on a coach or personal trainer would get you more "engine" power, which equals a greater chance of stepping high on the podium. Look, I have a Hed3, a HedJet60 and a disc cover for training. None of which make me any faster than the guys I compete against. Sure, it looks cool as h*ll! But the difference is minimal at best. You make the money, so, you spend it how you want. New wheels and "bling" parts are a trip! Just don't expect them to replace hard work and smart training. I'm not pi$$ing on your parade, well, I'm trying not to :) I guess "want vs. need" is a struggle all cyclists face. like I said before, you don't want Spinergy anything. Check out www.nytro.com for some newer perspectives on cool carbon wheels. X-lab makes some pretty trick stuff for TT and Tri.
best of Luck!

·
Registered
985 Posts
glazebal said:
Thanks, yeah the money is a little limited at the moment. I think in the end I'd love to spend the money on a Hed wheelset, but not sure if I'll be able to spend it this season.
In your initial mail you have said crits, what for you need aero wheel in them?
They would provide absolutely no advantage.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
cydswipe said:
The Corima stuff is a new page for me. Aside from their expensive TT/track wheels, I've never seen much of their product stateside.
Campagnolo. Hyperion and Bora...pure Corima. It stays around the Italian 'famiglia', you know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like what a previous post stated...wheels are not the first thing that will make you faster, but they are definately a huge help. Tubulars will roll much better and are faster in my opinion. A bike fit can help so much too, some shops that do computer programmed fits with laser allignment and what not, garuntee a power increase or your money back. Usually these garuntee fits go for about 2-300 dollars, but you'll be glad when you have the power to out climb, sprint, etc.

As far as wheel brands, I've had lots of luck with reynolds and zipp wheels. Both have been reliable, and the shop I bought them from are more than willing to always help me out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know that spinergy gets a lot of bad press but I absolutely love mine. I went with the Stealth Carbon PBO's. I have only had them for a couple of weeks (three races) so I can't speak about the long term durability personally. However my coach has been using them for quite some time and he speaks very highly of them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Faster

tcpike said:
Tubulars will roll much better and are faster in my opinion.
Well, I learn something new everyday. I had no idea that "faster" was a matter of opinion. I aways thought it was a matter of covering a given distance in less time. So, I supppse that all those tests showing that, on average, high performance clinchers roll at a given speed with less power had nothing to do with what is "faster".

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mark McM said:
Well, I learn something new everyday. I had no idea that "faster" was a matter of opinion. I aways thought it was a matter of covering a given distance in less time. So, I supppse that all those tests showing that, on average, high performance clinchers roll at a given speed with less power had nothing to do with what is "faster".
I have to ask this. Do you mean to be arrogant, condescending and rude when you post? I do not know you but it but it sure does seem that way.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Ligero said:
I have to ask this. Do you mean to be arrogant, condescending and rude when you post? I do not know you but it but it sure does seem that way.
Mark McM posts are almost always informative and based upon engineering or facts from tests. I imagine the last post was just a reaction to the immense amount of bullsh!t that is slung around here, like someone saying tubulars will roll much better based on little more than his imagination rather than tests that have shown that tubulars have more rolling resistance than clinchers.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Wake-up call

Ligero said:
Hey, you forgot sarcastic and obnoxious!

While there's no doubt I can be a bit grumpy, it appears I've been going way over the top recently. It appears I need to work on my cordiality and introspection.

And thanks for the good call - a little taste of humble pie every now and again is good for anyone!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mark McM said:
Hey, you forgot sarcastic and obnoxious!

While there's no doubt I can be a bit grumpy, it appears I've been going way over the top recently. It appears I need to work on my cordiality and introspection.

And thanks for the good call - a little taste of humble pie every now and again is good for anyone!
I am glad you did not take my post as me trying to pick a fight. I thinking most of things you are usually posting but don't post them because I hate typing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ligero said:
Corima is a french company not Italian but you are right all of the Campy carbon rims are Corima.
Right the first and wrong the last.. Campy carbon rims are NOT Corima

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought some Spinergy Stealth FCC's for my Look 486. I chose them mainly becuase I have used their wheels for quite some time. I started with some Rev X mountain wheels (man those things looked bad-a$$) that I bought for my GT Zaskar hartail back in the 90's. I constantly heard about the dramatic faliures and delamination and so on, but it never happened to me, even with a few crashes thrown at them. My next mountain bike (also a GT,but full suspension) also had Spinergy wheels, the Spox with the aluminum rims and PCB spokes. I still have them and even after about 6 years they are still as true as when I bought them. I have NEVER had a single problem with them. I got htem when I lived out in El Paso, TX, and if you'v ever beent here you know how dry it is. The dust and grit has a way of workingitself into every nook and cranny of everything. Even after several years of dealing with this I never had any issues. These things are bulletproof.

My contact with Spinergy customer service is limited at best. Since I've had no probelms with any of hte wheels, I have never had to call Spinergy. My only contact with them directly was two weeks ago; an e-mail asking what brake pads they recommended for the full carbon wheels. I received a response within 12 hours.

Anyway, for any product out there you will hear good and bad. I guess some brands have more of one or the other, but I stand by the fact that I heve never had any issues with a Spinergy wheel.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Whoa.

How'd this thing get brought back from the archives! :) The reason for my Spinergy negativity, at that point in 2006, was that a lot of folks getting the Spinergy Carbon wheelsets found them to be either un-true, right out of the box, or were having a lot of spoke failure issues. Most of the folks I dealt with then heve gotten different wheels now and are not real happy with Spinergy over the whole deal. Maybe it's a better deal now with them, I don't know, there has been a lot of water under that bridge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts