Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Il faut d'abord, durer.
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a spinning-type bike for the house. I'm aware of Schwinn since that is what the gym has. I've also seen Cycle-ops but they're way too expensive.

What brands are similar and is there a good online source for buying or making comparisons?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Everything I've read indicates the Lemond RevMaster is the one to get. However, they are rarely available used so you're typically looking at $1,000.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Gargamel said:
I want to buy a spinning-type bike for the house. I'm aware of Schwinn since that is what the gym has. I've also seen Cycle-ops but they're way too expensive.

What brands are similar and is there a good online source for buying or making comparisons?

Thanks a lot.
The official Spin bike is made by Startrac. It is the old pre-bankrupt Schwinn fitness company. They do take old ones back, refurbish them and sell them, but I don't know where you would get one. - TF

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
try "play it again sports"

Gargamel said:

Thanks a lot.
They are a franchise type company that buys and sells used sporting goods. I was in San Antonio once and saw used spinner bikes for sale.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Gargamel said:

Thanks a lot.

check out the stuff available here:
http://homegymcentral.com
IMO best prices (includes shipping) and service

·
Il faut d'abord, durer.
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Found one for 499.00 on the website mentioned in the last post.

·
Large blurry non-mythical
1,236 Posts
Schwinn=rust bucket

I teach classes & maintain a fleet of "group cycling" bikes. (Can't call 'em "Spinning", that's trade-marked, copyrighted, protected and registered.)

For home use the Schwinns may be okay. But in clubs they're very prone to corrosion. If you get a good deal on a Schwinn just be prepared to keep it waxed and to keep a thin film of light oil on the flywheel to prevent rust. Watch the bottom bracket too, they're know for snapping off.

By far the best for the money is the Lemond Revmaster. Retail is $1049 new. So used ones (if you can find 'em) might be affordable. Oversize bottom bracket, thick powder-coast on the frame, thick chrome on the components, belt drive for silent running, all make them a real value. The only bikes that approach it are far more money.

My 50/th of a buck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check COSTCO!

Last time I was at COSTCO (big warehouse type store, similar to Sam's) they had what looked like a perfectly fine spinning bike for around $500 if I remember right. Don't recall the brand, but it had all adjustments that there are, SPD pedals, controls. If I didn't already have a bike in a CycleOps trainer already I would have bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my Lemond as well. You can get it with the Pilot computer which outputs your cadence, among other things. With a chest strap, you can also get your heart rate.

It is smooth and super quiet, especially in comparison to our Life Cycle. It also is built to last...very solid. I think it weighs something like 115 pounds, which, along with its substantial flywheel, add to the RevMaster's stability and smoothness.

Another big plus is the easy adjustments one can make to both seat and handlebars.

My only complaint is that I'm not a huge fan of the seat, but that's so individual.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
KeithA said:
My only complaint is that I'm not a huge fan of the seat, but that's so individual.
Can you mount your own seat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
bsdc said:
Can you mount your own seat?
Yes, you can, which I might end up doing down the line. First though, I think I might switch it out for something already on one of my bikes to see which one I might want to order should I decide to go that route down the line.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Eastern bikes makes a spin bike, I can't remember what they call it. I would imagine any shop that carries Eastern (bmx) could get it for you. I was able to find it online before but can't now. I've tried one out and it seemed to be pretty high quality and relatively affordable. (Still expensive in my book).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts