Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about joining a spinning class at my local gym till I saved up enough money for my first road bike. Has anyone tried spinning classes?

And on another note: where would be the best place to learn about bike maintenance?

-Tim

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,071 Posts
tcruse11 said:
Has anyone tried spinning classes?
Yes. They're a great cardio workout and they're great for improving your cadence and pedal stroke, but you're not going to build the endurance that road miles give you. I use them year-round. But, beware of aerobics instructors -- they tend to want to make you use the bike like a jungle-gym. Rule of thumb: if you wouldn't or couldn't do something on a real bike, don't do it on a spin bike.

tcruse11 said:
Where would be the best place to learn about bike maintenance?
If you're mechanically inclined, tinker. If not, get a book.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Go for the spinning. It at least will give you an advantage as far as overall aerobic fitness. I do a lot of spinning classes in the winter and definitely feels it gives me a kick start for when the weather gets better. But like Elvis said, many spin instructors are all over the place. . .up and down, up and down. I don't like that too much. I usually find a bike in the back and just ride it hard. Lots of intervals and sprints to really get it going. If the spin instructor asks what you're doing explain it to them after class. At least at my gym half the instructors are roadbikers also and understand (although I think it hurts their ego a little).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.