Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Prairie Smoke
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I caught part of the race on OLN, and it looked to me like the red lights were flashing and the barriers were starting to come down when Fabian rode through -- so how's come he wasn't DQ'd as well? Anybody have it recorded?? Anybody have the rule book handy?

I'm sure Tom wouldn't want to win that way, but geeze, it should at least be fair.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
lspangle said:
So I caught part of the race on OLN, and it looked to me like the red lights were flashing and the barriers were starting to come down when Fabian rode through -- so how's come he wasn't DQ'd as well? Anybody have it recorded?? Anybody have the rule book handy?

I'm sure Tom wouldn't want to win that way, but geeze, it should at least be fair.
It almost always comes down to the race commissaire's decision in this type of cases and rarely is the letter of the law followed, just think about how often they let riders either draft or get towed by team cars. Cancellera didn't go around down crossing gates as the 3 who got DQ'd did, but f it were me I wouldn't have DQ'd them b/c their actions didn't affect the outcome of the race.

·
Prairie Smoke
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could swear

I could swear that the barriers were starting to come down when Fabian rode through.

I agree that these things are subjective, and it's better to come down on the side of safety, but it should be fair too.

Wish I could see it again!
L

·
Registered
53 Posts
Should Boonen have been DQ's also?

I don't think so, but if you watch a replay, his group went through after the train passed, but they didn't wait for the gates to rise . The gates were still down. It seems like they should either have applied the letter of the law and DQ's all 6, or used judgement and let it go.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
cy1 said:
I don't think so, but if you watch a replay, his group went through after the train passed, but they didn't wait for the gates to rise . The gates were still down. It seems like they should either have applied the letter of the law and DQ's all 6, or used judgement and let it go.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
cy1 said:
What we don't know is what/if anything was said to the riders on the ground by the comissaires/race officials. If the officials had told Boonen et al to just go after the train had passed, then it wouldn't matter if the barriers were still down.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
gates or light

one report was it was the gate, the other it was the flashing red light. in those cases they all should have gotten DQ's. Clearly there were some guys at the gate, who waved through the first 3 and then (as they could see the train coming) stopped the next.
I think the call was a tad subjective as each group bent the rules a tad.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
atpjunkie said:
one report was it was the gate, the other it was the flashing red light. in those cases they all should have gotten DQ's. Clearly there were some guys at the gate, who waved through the first 3 and then (as they could see the train coming) stopped the next.
I think the call was a tad subjective as each group bent the rules a tad.
yep...

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
The main point...

rocco said:
The main point I think is that regardless of what happened at the level crossing, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the race, at all.

Cancellara still would have won, and the others would have finished where they did finish. It is too bad they DSQ'd the other guys, and they probably shouldn't have. I guess there is still a large debate going on between the teams and the UCI right now.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
ASO-Disco feud

ASO just sticking it to Disco again. The referees waived the first 4 riders thru so why punish the riders. They should have left it up to the people in the field to make the calls.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
wouldn't have changed who won

but damn sure changed 2-4. That gives Hoste, P-V-P less UCI points and Boonen more.
I wouldn't doubt if it was anti Disco. I thought Leblanc retried, wtf was he doing making calls?
I agree, the riders were waived through by officials (or what looked like them) and the next group was stopped as trian was en route.

·
Registered
59 Posts
atpjunkie said:
but damn sure changed 2-4. That gives Hoste, P-V-P less UCI points and Boonen more.
I wouldn't doubt if it was anti Disco. I thought Leblanc retried, wtf was he doing making calls?
I agree, the riders were waived through by officials (or what looked like them) and the next group was stopped as trian was en route.
From cyclingnews.com:

Even the organisers of Paris-Roubaix didn't agree entirely with the decision. ASO's Jean-Francois Pescheux, who is responsible for the race course, said, "It's true that these are the rules, but maybe they should have made an exception out of fairness and sporting ethics. After 250 kilometres of racing, and knowing it didn't affect the winner's position in the race, maybe the rules shouldn't have been applied to the letter."

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
The gates were down when Boonen went through

Photo:

cy1 said:

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'm going to watch again tonight

to see if it was 'officials' that waved the first group through.

if it was a 'gate violation' or a 'light violation' They need to DQ group 2 as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.