Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Julich blows perhaps his best chance at ever winning a tour. should have pre-ridden the course in the morning like Landis did.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
you seriously think julich could have won it this year?

sorry, but he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

btw - what makes you think he didn't pre-ride the course?

whatever. it's a pity about the wipeout.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
surista said:
I agree that it looks like he didn't know the corner. Looks like he took a bad line.
two wrongs don't make a right

http://cyclingnews.com said:
Neither Team CSC not Discovery Channel have been able to live up to the expectations today. Moreover, CSC suffered another loss as Bobby Julich crashed on a roundabout, injuring his right hand. The American was taken to hospital.

"There are apparently no fractures," CSC team director Alain Gallopin said. "Nevertheless, they will keep him overnight and he will have a little surgery to clean the wound properly. You could see the bone and the tendons, so the wound is rather deep.

"He knew the course and has the experience of riding fast even in curves, but there was a lot of gravel at that particular junction, as people walked over the graveled sidewalk, and some of it ended up on the road. His wheel just slid," Gallopin added.

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
I've been watching Julich all year. He is the shadow of the rider he once was. Bad luck, illness, age.

I don't think Julich had a chance at even top 20. His future doesn't look good. Whatever happens, good career and great comeback with csc.

fc

· Registered
6,326 Posts
Julich: unlucky or just lousy bike handler?

rufus said:
so Julich blows perhaps his best chance at ever winning a tour. should have pre-ridden the course in the morning like Landis did.
Another TdF, another TT crash by Julich. Does he have bad luck or is is just bad riding/taking risks? Had the bike not slipped out from under him, its looks like he would have hit the curb anyway.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
DaveG said:
Another TdF, another TT crash by Julich.
crashed in a TT in '99, and crashed in a TT in '06.

please explain how that equates as 'Another TdF, another TT crash by Julich'? :rolleyes:

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
botto said:
you seriously think julich could have won it this year?

sorry, but he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

btw - what makes you think he didn't pre-ride the course?

whatever. it's a pity about the wipeout.
as good a chance as anyone else. you seriously think Hincapie is a better climber than Julich? Leipheimer? Landis maybe, but not that great a difference.

and Landis' coach in the pre-race show said that landis was the only guy out there riding the course beforehand.

· Registered
6,326 Posts
messed up on that one

botto said:
crashed in a TT in '99, and crashed in a TT in '06.

please explain how that equates as 'Another TdF, another TT crash by Julich'? :rolleyes:

I thought he crashed out last year but I checked the stats and he finished 17th so I must have been thinking of someone else

· Registered
2,342 Posts
was there gravel?

botto said:
two wrongs don't make a right
"He knew the course and has the experience of riding fast even in curves, but there was a lot of gravel at that particular junction, as people walked over the graveled sidewalk, and some of it ended up on the road. His wheel just slid," Gallopin added.

I didn't see any gravel on that corner. it appeared to me that he chose a line that led him into the curb.I only saw it a couple times though. perhaps someone with tivo can post a vidcap.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
rufus said:
as good a chance as anyone else. you seriously think Hincapie is a better climber than Julich? Leipheimer? Landis maybe, but not that great a difference..
hey Karl Rove, don't put words in my mouth. Show me a post where I said either Hincapie or Levi L were going to do anything this Tour. You can't.

Regardless, Julich was never a candidate. hasn't been since '99, and anyone who thought otherwise was either fooling themselves, or didn't know much about pro cycling.

rufus said:
and Landis' coach in the pre-race show said that landis was the only guy out there riding the course beforehand.
Wow, that's some pretty objective reporting there. Glad I don't have to watch OLN for my TdF coverage :rolleyes:

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
blackhat said:
I didn't see any gravel on that corner. it appeared to me that he chose a line that led him into the curb.I only saw it a couple times though. perhaps someone with tivo can post a vidcap.
here

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
DaveG said:
I thought he crashed out last year but I checked the stats and he finished 17th so I must have been thinking of someone else
you were probably thinking of zabriskie

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
blackhat said:
No gravel, he misjudged the corner, probably didn't expect it to turn right again like some sort of chicane, slammed his brakes and whammoed on the tarmac.

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
botto said:
hey Karl Rove, don't put words in my mouth. Show me a post where I said either Hincapie or Levi L were going to do anything this Tour. You can't.

Regardless, Julich was never a candidate. hasn't been since '99, and anyone who thought otherwise was either fooling themselves, or didn't know much about pro cycling.

Wow, that's some pretty objective reporting there. Glad I don't have to watch OLN for my TdF coverage :rolleyes:
so who in this current tour, with the disqualifications of Basso, Ulrich and the rest, and Valverde crashing out, has a better overall chance than him? who has the requisite requirements of climbing and time-trialing ability that it's gonna take to win the tour? Julich at least rates up there with any of them.

and you don't have to be such a dick about it.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
rufus said:
so who in this current tour, with the disqualifications of Basso, Ulrich and the rest, and Valverde crashing out, has a better overall chance than him? who has the requisite requirements of climbing and time-trialing ability that it's gonna take to win the tour? Julich at least rates up there with any of them.
as far as riders who have a better chance than Julich did, just off the top of my head, and taken from the current top 25 GC, see the names in Bold:

1 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile
2 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak
3 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile
4 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile
5 Marcus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner
6 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile
7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
8 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto
9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank

10 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC
11 Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile
12 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance
13 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel

14 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) T-Mobile
15 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner
16 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC
17 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel
18 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
19 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux
20 Didier Rous (Fra) Bouygues Telecom
21 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick-Step-Innergetic
22 Christian Vandevelde (USA) Team CSC
23 Yaroslav Popovyvch (Ukr) Discovery Channel
24 José Luis Rubiera (Spa) Discovery Channel
25 David Millar (GBr) Saunier Duval

rufus said:
and you don't have to be such a dick about it.
grow up :rolleyes:

· Registered
172 Posts
I actually heard on one news station that he got distracted from the people throwing water over him just before the corner, thus making him a bit disorientated. Personally, i thought wtf, but i guess it could be a possibility.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.