Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll just go on record again that I think this is one of the best things ever on television, and then make one point.

One thing I like about the show is the contrasts and symmetries and parallels. Case in point: the actions and motivations of Chuck and Jimmy in the Mesa Verde affair. Each did something to achieve an end, and someone who was not the primary motivation suffered; collateral damage, you might say. Thus far, they are similar.

But the motivations, and what they were willing to tolerate, are polar opposites. Chuck, driven by his profound resentment (or whatever you might call it) of Jimmy, won back the Mesa Verde account. Certainly the firm benefitted, and Chuck's reputation was enhanced, but neither of them really needed that, and it's not what drove Chuck. He did it to punish Jimmy. He was willing to destroy Kim (whom he didn't care about one way or the other) to get at Jimmy. What he did was legal, if arguably dishonest a bit, but it was certainly underhanded.

Chuck, driven by love for Kim, did something clearly dishonest and illegal. HHM and Chuck were injured by what he did, but that wasn't his goal, and he states quite correctly that the harm to them was small compared to what Kim would suffer by losing the account.

Jimmy miscalculated how much impact the forgery would have on Chuck. But it's important to see that Chuck's breakdown at the copy store was not the product of him thinking that he'd made a mistake, and was losing his edge, but because he'd possibly failed to catch Jimmy. In fact, Chuck's self-doubt was feigned, an act to trick Jimmy into confessing. Spite for Jimmy is what motivates him, again and again.

Chuck plays within the rules, at least technically, but he's driven by hatred. Jimmy, by contrast, plays fast and loose, but tries not to be evil. Even his con games are usually directed at marks who can afford it and think they can get away with something (the old saying "you can't con an honest man," is an over-generalization, but contains a germ of truth). Even in dealing with Chuck, who again and again thwarts him, he retains his compassion, and Chuck cynically exploits it at the end.

The opening flashback with the dying mother may be a key bit of history. Somehow, Chuck's attitude toward little brother crossed over at some point from, "he's a flake and I wish he'd stay away," to "I hate him and I want to destroy him." Maybe it was that moment when mother's last words revealed that she loved charming, dishonest Jimmy at least as much (maybe more) as straight-and-narrow Chuck.

The subtlety and complexity of the characters in this show is worthy of Shakespeare and classical drama. Great stuff.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
the dying mother scene really shed some light on Chuck's resentment of Jimmy.

Chuck obviously thinks he's a better person than his brother and that didn't help things...

but, for all the drama that Chuck brings to the show, I find myself tiring of his character's 'electricity allergy' phobic craziness and severe self-centeredness. I'd like Jimmy to just leave him be to his own misery. but, that would reduce tension and a major plot device.

Mike's scene with the sniper rifle was a nice respite from Tin Foil Chuckie...but it didn't result in the expected assassination attempt.

so, here we are with not much to do but wait for the next season for more clues as to when Saul will emerge.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
To my eyes, Jimmy is an innocent soul stuck in an unforgiving universe. He hasn't a bad bone in his body, and he loves Chuck and Kim unconditionally, but that doesn't keep him from making endless, major mistakes. A truly superb character. Perhaps the best I've ever seen on television...though Don Draper does give him competition on this front. In any case, superb or not, I do have my gripes with the show. In particular, Chuck is just too contrived for my tastes. Sure, his character is meant to be comedically overwrought but that's something more appropriate for a supporting character, not a co-lead. A little of him goes a long way.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who jammed Mike's horn and left him the note ("don't)? If it was someone sent by Nacho, that would explain Nacho deliberately standing in front of Hector so Mike couldn't get the shot. But nobody else knows enough about Mike to anticipate that he would try to do that, and Nacho doesn't want anyone to know how much he knows about Mike.

Some have speculated that Gus Fring is involved. But I don't see anything to support that, (beyond wishful thinking that that fascinating character would be seen again).

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Some have speculated that Gus Fring is involved. But I don't see anything to support that, (beyond wishful thinking that that fascinating character would be seen again).
googling found this...hmmmm.

Theories that the note was written by Fring, or at the very least one of his associates, were exacerbated by the discovery that the first letter of each of the ten-episode titles in “Saul’s” second season are an anagram for “FRING’S BACK.” That’s no coincidence.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some fantastic writing for this show with very convincing characters. You can pretty much put yourself in their shoes and make the same steps. It's like, oh ****! Yeah he/she would do that. Unlike most other shows, you say "WTF that's stupid!" every 5 mins.
I love Kim's struggle at Chuck's house. It's a mixture of her wanting to believe in Jimmy, her knowing what she means to Jimmy, her knowing who Jimmy is and her own morality, freaking brilliant.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Who jammed Mike's horn and left him the note ("don't)? If it was someone sent by Nacho, that would explain Nacho deliberately standing in front of Hector so Mike couldn't get the shot. But nobody else knows enough about Mike to anticipate that he would try to do that, and Nacho doesn't want anyone to know how much he knows about Mike.

Jimmy thinks with his heart, and spites his head
Chuck thinks with his head, and spites his heart.

Both men have a elemenst of evil in them, like we all do. Some do their misadventures within the law, and some do outside the law.

Great writing, love the show.

On the back story of Mike, there has to another person the picture we that don't yet that stuck the tree branch to the car horn. But who???

We shall see.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Pretty good season finale but I was not at all impressed with Chuck's use of a tape recorder to get Jimmy's confession....that was way too obvious and left me feeling a bit disappointed that there wasn't a more unexpected twist at the end. I was also not thrilled with the preview from a week ago of the upcoming season finale. They made it seem like Chuck was on his death bed, barely clinging to life, when in reality he was just fine and was sent home after the tests were negative. Those kind of tactics I might expect from a run-of-the-mill network TV series but not from the makers of "Better Call Saul". But season two was more interesting and engaging than season one, and I'll definitely be tuning in for season three to see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts