Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the forces contending for the soul of Jimmy/Saul are now starkly arrayed, pushing and pulling him on the one hand toward James McGill, Esq. and big-firm "respectability," and on the other toward Saul Goodman, Slippin' Jimmy with a law license, the con-man "criminal lawyer" we all came to love on BB.

On the good-angel side there is Jimmy's still-not-extinguished desire to live up to the example of his big brother Chuck whom he once loved and idolized, the lure of public acceptability itself, and of course Kim, who not only loves him but respects him and believes in his abilities.

On the other side there is the irresistible thrill of using his fast talk in high-pressure settings (something the big firm provides little of), the lure of big money and possibly danger, and the tragic rejection by the once-idolized Chuck, who has made it clear again that he will never respect Jimmy or believe in him, but will try to undermine him at every opportunity.

And one more thing: there's a substitute big brother. Mike is the anti-Chuck, the older accomplished man who does respect Jimmy's gifts and believe in him. He calls on him for a very tricky task, confident that Jimmy can pull it off, if he can summon the requisite "moral flexibility". That's a powerful draw for Jimmy.

We all know where it goes eventually, but how he gets there is not simple or obvious. In particular, how long Kim can stay around by taking the Kay Corleone "I don't want to know" approach is a big question. All we know for sure is that she was gone before the Breaking Bad days, but that's still a few years in the future, so there may be much drama along the way. When she does finally break with Jimmy she will know enough to face a crisis of conscience. We can be sure she doesn't turn him in, but what that does to her will be an interesting, possibly terrible thing to watch.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
gotta think Chuck will be a decisive element in driving Jimmy to the dark side.

Chuck's appearance last nite was anything but a show of 'support' for little brother...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotta think Chuck will be a decisive element in driving Jimmy to the dark side.

Chuck's appearance last nite was anything but a show of 'support' for little brother...
That's putting it mildly. Chuck said he was there to "bear witness'; i.e., to tell his brother's new employers that his brother is a lightweight correspondence-school lawyer with a criminal past, and they should dump him at the first opportunity.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
You know, SPOILERS in the title is like a "Do Not Touch. Wet Paint" sign for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well JCavilia, all I can say is "well written" to that post. You do a better job of summarizing what I noticed and add a bit of insight to stuff I didn't think that deeply about. Keep up the great reviews!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked up "squat cobbler" on Google after I watched episode #2. Ain't no such thing. :D
I refrained from Googling it, but I was pretty confident the writers made it up.

To clarify: I wouldn't be surprised if there is such a fetish, but I think they made up the name. If you dug deeper with alternate search terms, you might find something about the practice. I would NOT recommend doing such a search, unless you want to get on a bunch of lists that you shouldn't want to be on.

That was funny as hell, BTW.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I can see now I was totally wrong (apparently) on my prediction in another thread that we'd eventually learn Kim is pretty shady herself. The ending of #2 seemed to pretty much blow that possibility.

So far liking this a lot more than season 2. And it's not that I disliked 1. I wish there wasn't such a long break between seasons though. I have a feeling I'm forgetting some stuff that would boost my appreciation of 2. I might go back and binge watch season 1. Or just stop watching all together and buy all the seasons years down the road.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Jimmy's corporate housing complex looked kinda like the place Walter White found in BB.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Did they run out of inspiration again?

Episode 3 fell back into last seasons snail pace lack of driven plot. I enjoyed the first two episodes this season. After signing up clients on the bus, the rest was just pounding the same old message at the same old could have done all this in 5 minutes, but did it in 45 instead.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Did they run out of inspiration again?
while the last episode wasn't exactly riveting, you have to let the writers position things for the next 'oh wow' moment.

Jimmy's upcoming meeting with the head of the firm should provide some conflict.

and lying (again) to Kim was a dumb move.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
while the last episode wasn't exactly riveting, you have to let the writers position things for the next 'oh wow' moment.

Jimmy's upcoming meeting with the head of the firm should provide some conflict.

I can't deny that the pace was different than the previous episode, but I disagree with crit boy's negative reaction. Maybe it's an "inside baseball" thing, but as a lawyer I'm fascinated by the plot elements that are driven by legal issues and particularly the legal culture issues. This episode revealed some things about the relationship between the two law firms, and what (very different) kinds of firms they are that I hadn't picked up on previously, and I think those issues are crucial to Jimmy's evolution. There are some subtleties and complexities that I found very interesting. In a sense, the central line of the story in the whole series is how Saul Goodman became the kind of lawyer he was, and that's what's being developed here. I liked it.

HHM and Davis & Main are very different sorts of firms, and their collaboration on this case is an odd-couple setup, with the constant potential for disaster. Jimmy doesn't fit perfectly at either of them, but in important respects he's a lot more like Davis & Main than like his brother's firm.

My (low confidence-level) prediction for the next episode: The senior guy will threaten to chop Jimmy's head off, but hold off (for now).

Is Mike's daughter-in-law going completely bonkers?

And here's a BB parallel I like: Walter White got involved in crime first to make money to take care of his family; Mike Ehrmantraut is about to cross over from bodyguard to hit man because he needs money to take care of his daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts

I agree. Their winding up for the next big thing for Jimmy. Also developing Mike more. I'm fine with stuff like this. Heck, I sat through the first season of Fargo which "wound up" most of the season. As long as the payoff delivers I'll be happy to invest the time.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
well, last nite's episode was fairly entertaining...

Jimmy gets grief for airing his solicitation commercial without prior consent from the partners. but, Kim takes the brunt of the punishment for his actions. Jimmy asks Chuck to make things right for her and offers to quit practicing law if he does. seems like the likely catalyst for him to stop being Jimmy and become Saul...

Mike is offered to do a contract hit on Tuco, but, we know he won't kill him since he appears later in BB.

really like the Tuco character, he simply oozes badassness. the 'lie detector' stare is awesome.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I really like how Mike figured out how to set up Tuco and take a beating to earn his money. Mike is the classic conflicted character, trying to live with his dirty past and willing to get his hands dirty again to take care of his D-I-L and grand daughter, but won't do just anything.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Anyone have a theory on why all the time spent on Chuck's allergy to electricity bothers me so much?
Is there some symbolism or path that's taking that I'm missing? It just seems they could have given him a rash or something and retained a bit more realism to fit the overall tone of the show a lot better.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Anyone have a theory on why all the time spent on Chuck's allergy to electricity bothers me so much?
Is there some symbolism or path that's taking that I'm missing? It just seems they could have given him a rash or something and retained a bit more realism to fit the overall tone of the show a lot better.
I'm not sure what to think other than I believe the writers are solid and not gonna go for a gimmick. There's going to be something in this story line that will help explain Jimmy's evolution in some way. It could be as simple as Jimmy looking at Chuck who did everything the right way and still succumbed to "tragedy", so why not stick with the easy way/con game Jimmy always chose in the past?

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
They hinted at this in the first season... I'm wondering if Jimmy will eventually have Chuck committed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts