Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Einstruzende said:
The key is not going to a pro cycling specific forum if you want to be surprised.
exactly. if you don't like it, don't come here before you see the race.

or are you the type who likes suing McDonalds because they made you fat ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed. However, sometimes you cant even avoid them this way. I logged on this am to the Forums page where it lists the title of the most recent thread in each forum and bumped into the spoiler about Tour de Romandie. I hadn't even been to the Pro Cycling forum yet. Kinda disappointing.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
wheezer said:
Nuff said.
I agree. For those of us who use "New Posts", it would certainly be more considerate to not spoil it. Actually, If I miss a race now on cycling.tv, I just don't log in until the rerun shows - sometimes that's days. Going through each of the individual forums just isn't worth it. - TF

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
griping about spoilers is a pet peeve of mine. I can't imagine a life where I could devote so much energy to maintaining the suspense over who won a bike race, for heavens sake. Knowing who won deprives me of none of the enjoyment of learning how that person won, if I ever actually can get around to that.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
...in other words, since something doesn't bother you, you could care less if it bothers someone else. Nice 'tude!

Spoilers can pop up the moment you bring up the site in the "Last Post" section next to each forum - impossible to avoid.

All the guy's asking is to keep spoilers out of titles - such a little effort required that can result in an act of kindness.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I agree that it's not that much more effort to title posts "Tour of Romandie, Stage 2" instead of "Horner takes yellow!". Although you might see the first sentence of the post by hovering your mouse over the title, so perhaps people shouldn't talk about results in the first paragraph either? :)

While it's fair complaint when people are waiting to get home to watch race on OLN, Tour of Romandie is available only through cycling.tv. So why would anyone go to the forums on their computers instead of logging into cycling.tv to watch the race?

Personally, I am a bit amazed at these "spoiler" wars that always seem to pop up.
If I want to watch the race and avoid spoilers, it only makes sense to avoid cycling forums altogether that day, until you watch the race, especially the "pro race" forum. If I couldn't contain myself and just HAD to check the pro cycling forum, I would probably blame myself for not having enough self-restraint, rather than blame people who want to discuss the results after watching the race live on cycling.tv. So I am always puzzled when I see people complain about spoilers.

But like I said, it takes a little more work and takes away some excitement, but we could all be more careful with titles. Most likely, in a big and popular forum someone will continue to post spoilers, so keep that in mind if you just can't wait to check out pro cycling forums instead of watching cycling.tv race instead.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
such a little effort required that can result in an act of kindness.
"kindness"? you're kidding, right? Mother Teresa was kind. Indulging an adult's little need to hold the surprise please please please don't tell me what I got for my birthday you'll ruin it let me unwrap it is not what I would consider "kindness."

But I don't do it, anyway. I don't care enough either way. It just seems odd and childish to get all worked up about it. Remember how the thread started -- with a much stronger opinion than mine, thank you for noticing.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
This is the Pro cycling forum. Spoilers are allowed in here. The sole purpose of this forum is to discuss pro racing and results. Titles are an integral part of a posts so results are allowed in there too.

As far as the main forums index page and latest posts page, don't use them. Roadbikereview can put the Pro Cycling forum at the very bottom of the list if that's helpful. However, that comes at disadvantage to everyone using the dropdown list to select this forum. Let us know if it's useful to do that.

francois

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
francois said:
This is the Pro cycling forum. Spoilers are allowed in here. The sole purpose of this forum is to discuss pro racing and results. Titles are an integral part of a posts so results are allowed in there too.

As far as the main forums index page and latest posts page, don't use them. Roadbikereview can put the Pro Cycling forum at the very bottom of the list if that's helpful. However, that comes at disadvantage to everyone using the dropdown list to select this forum. Let us know if it's useful to do that.

francois
It's obviously yours to run, but I don't consider anything but New Posts (and My Account)as usable. If I had to go through the over 50 individual forums (with a link to each to avoid the Main Index page) each time, I would not use this site or would put extreme limits on which forums I would view. As it is, I simply don't log in at all for up to 4 days between the race and when cycling.tv shows the rerun. - TF

BTW, for Fleche Wallonne, the wait from Wed to Sat was worth it.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
It's obviously yours to run, but I don't consider anything but New Posts (and My Account)as usable. If I had to go through the over 50 individual forums (with a link to each to avoid the Main Index page) each time, I would not use this site or would put extreme limits on which forums I would view. As it is, I simply don't log in at all for up to 4 days between the race and when cycling.tv shows the rerun. - TF

BTW, for Fleche Wallonne, the wait from Wed to Sat was worth it.
What exactly is the cycling.tv rerun schedule? I'm still trying to figure my way around it. It seems like races are available in archive after a few days. Is there a rerun on the same day?

francois

·
Registered
156 Posts
francois said:
What exactly is the cycling.tv rerun schedule? I'm still trying to figure my way around it. It seems like races are available in archive after a few days. Is there a rerun on the same day?
Seems to usually be the next day. Or sometimes the day after that :) I don't think they're on much of a 'schedule' :)

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I don't see whats so hard about titling a post "Stage 3 Tour of whatever" and then discuss it there. Keep the spoiler headlines out of the titles. Its not that hard to do. Be considerate to others who can't watch the race if that isn't too much to ask.
And I agree, it is better to have the suspense of watching the race later without knowing who won.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
capt_phun said:
I don't see whats so hard about titling a post "Stage 3 Tour of whatever" and then discuss it there. Keep the spoiler headlines out of the titles. Its not that hard to do. Be considerate to others who can't watch the race if that isn't too much to ask.
And I agree, it is better to have the suspense of watching the race later without knowing who won.
It's not so hard yes. But it harms this forum. There is a big difference in response and discussion between:

"Paris Roubaix results"
and
"Hincapie's broken steer tube, what happened?"

One will generate much less discussion than the other. And since this is a race discussion forum, I don't want to harm the forum and the majority of the users.

A lot of these races don't even have delayed tv coverage. What exactly are we spoiling? Wait for everyone to view the cyclingnews live feed three days later? Are we not reveal any results or issues on the titles forever??? If you have cycling.tv, watch the live feed. If you can't, then stay away from this forum and all the race forums.

In the general forum or any of the other 50 forums here, I agree, don't reveal in the titles. But this is the Race Forum. Results are allowed.

francois

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
francois said:
It's not so hard yes. But it harms this forum. There is a big difference in response and discussion between:

"Paris Roubaix results"
and
"Hincapie's broken steer tube, what happened?"

One will generate much less discussion than the other. And since this is a race discussion forum, I don't want to harm the forum and the majority of the users.

A lot of these races don't even have delayed tv coverage. What exactly are we spoiling? Wait for everyone to view the cyclingnews live feed three days later? Are we not reveal any results or issues on the titles forever??? If you have cycling.tv, watch the live feed. If you can't, then stay away from this forum and all the race forums.

In the general forum or any of the other 50 forums here, I agree, don't reveal in the titles. But this is the Race Forum. Results are allowed.

francois
francois, THANKS! and totally agreed!

If I cannot watch cycling.tv feed, I should have self-restrain to not go on race forums either. If I do, I can only blame myself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm confused. it's unreasonable to be excited to watch a race without knowing the outcome but it's cool to be so geeked up about discussing it that you just absolutely have to post the outcome in the title? are you saying that all the excellent commentary about RVV and MSR and LBL was somehow diminished because the results were not posted in the title? just so i have it straight ... psyched to watch racing without forgone conclusions, bad; ignoring what seems to be a simple courtesy (albeit not a rule) because you're selfish and inconsiderate, good. got it.

what diminishes the pro forum more: titles that are ever so slightly dialed down or sending race fans away from the site who haven't been able to watch the live feed due to work filters or what have you?

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
wheezer said:
i'm confused. it's unreasonable to be excited to watch a race without knowing the outcome but it's cool to be so geeked up about discussing it that you just absolutely have to post the outcome in the title? are you saying that all the excellent commentary about RVV and MSR and LBL was somehow diminished because the results were not posted in the title? just so i have it straight ... psyched to watch racing without forgone conclusions, bad; ignoring what seems to be a simple courtesy (albeit not a rule) because you're selfish and inconsiderate, good. got it.

what diminishes the pro forum more: titles that are ever so slightly dialed down or sending race fans away from the site who haven't been able to watch the live feed due to work filters or what have you?
This shouldn't be that hard to comprehend: You don't want your surprise to be ruined so you can watch your Tivo/dvr/vcr later... stay out of the racing forum! Stay out of Velonews too.

This is the Pro Racing forum. There's no spoiler rule here. We have the option to celebrate results, surprises and heroic efforts in the day's events. We shouldn't have to walk on pins and needles so we don't ruin your little surprise.

Who's really being selfish here??? I repeat, this is the racing forum where we mainly discuss races, as they happen. Handcuffing everyone to not tip off any key race events so you can keep your suspense is a petty whine.

francois

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmmm - I think that a lot of peeps come in here to discuss pro cycling that are very involved in the sport - whether they are participating or just spectating. Some of these peeps do not want to find out results prematurely.

To simply state in the title of one's post that there is a spoiler is not a big effort - to discuss an epic exploit of a specific rider can probably wait until a day or two after the event and let's face it, those "in the know" will swarm around the spoiler thread like bees around honey.

To some of us spoilers are a big deal. Some of us don't give a toss but we should respect those that do and make the negligable effort required to safeguard the spoiler phobic amongst us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.