Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find all the specs on the DT Swiss hub (specifically, spoke offset), and their calculator doesn't support OC rear rims (I just added offset to DS flange offset per Musson's book). I measured with calipers but I want to verify.

DT Swiss 350 Straight Pull hub 28 holes (130mm, non DB)
Pacenti Forza OC rim (591 ERD)
3x both sides
CX-Rays

DT Swiss calculator gives me 297 on both sides with 16mm DT Swiss nipples (more threads). 298mm with standard 12mm nipples. Spokecalc gives me 300 NDS, 299 DS, I assume it's for 12mm nipples.

Anyone build this combination? What lengths did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I have not built with the components you listed so can't help you there.

The difference you see on spoke length between the two calculators is because the DT automatically adjusts for the DT 16mm nipples by substracting 2mm while the other does not.

Also, I don't believe Spokecalc is straight pull spoke compatible but DT is. This difference will also give you different results.

IMO, since you seem to have Musson's book already, why don't you use his calculator and measure hub and rim the exact way the calculator was designed for the most accurate results?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Just to add a little explanation to what dcgriz said:

I started off using the DT Swiss calculator until I ran into issues just like yours. It assumes that you are using DT Swiss nipples, which seem to be threaded differently to every other nipple out there. The nipple length is normally irrelevant to the calculation except with DT. Other nipples are threaded in the "upper" section. The different lengths are just so you can fit a wrench.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue is measuring some aspects of a straight pull hub to plug into Spokecalc. I have calipers and have measured everything but I wanted to check my measurements with someone else's.

Also, full disclosure, I'm trying to reuse spokes that are the "wrong" length. So I'm doing all kinds of weird stuff, combination of nipple washers to add ERD, different length DT Swiss spokes w/ longer threads to subtract ERD, etc. At least when the wheels fail catastrophically, I'll know why! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts